Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Inactive User

Default AFP Carter adjusting....BACK to Holley?

I got my -73 4D Dart registered with 440(it´s harder in Europe). And, yes little broblems. The Engine was rebuilt in USA and it was quite Baaad quality(thats another story), so we did everything second time and assembled it. On the top I put Torker II and Carter AFP 750(vacuum), and it´s almost working, it starts nicely and idles OK, but before 2500 rpm IT DOES NOT TALK. And sometimes it dies when you start from trafficklights(stumbles??my english is bit rusty, please ignore possible spelling mistakes). WOT it runs quite nice but try driving easy, and over 2500 rpm runs better. The Carter have .113" main jets and .70/.475 rods as new???? Anyway I was told that it might be too big for my engine. It´s ~9.7CR, 452 heads(pocket ported only), Crane 278/282 lift in .46/.49 ex cam, CPPA 2" underchassis(MIG/hammer adjusted) headers. So nothing radical. I have checked everything(?), carb floats had to be adjusted(IT´S NEW!) gaslevel too low, coil(ACCEL) get 9V, tried new controlbox(orange), and all parts are NEW. And I have no idea if it´s running lean or rich, checked all plugs=> all were similar, other side white and other side light brown( I run with 98oct unleaded). And no dynotime available for atleast 4weeks I HAD Holley 750(ALSO NEW), but I sold it last year, stupid...stupid, HIT ME. And I tried all 5 springs(3"=>8") no effect, tried bigger rod(=going leaner) no effect. Top of everything local speedshops hadn´t strip kits(sold out). Sorry too long story, but any ideas? What next? I don´t want to by all jets and rods available and test. Maybe Back to
Old 07-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like your running lean at idle and on the primary side alittle. Adjust your idle mixture for highest vacuum with a vacuum guage. Usually 2-2.5 turns is where you'll end up. The Edelbrock website will help you tune it just download or printout the tuning manual. Try the pump shot arm on the top hole if you don't have it there already. Also increase your timing several degrees to see if that helps as it does alot of times when going to a bigger cam. This helps idle quality and throttle response. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

I ran Holleys for almost 40 years, and since I tried Edelbrock AFBs I will NEVER go back. The carb might have a manufacturing defect - can you return it to the place you bought it and get a new one exchanged for it? I did that with one of my Holleys.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:21 AM
Inactive User

Default more testing...

Idle mixture goes up and down. It was set to ~3,5% CO and yesterday we checked it and drivers side(no crossover tube, yet) was down to 2(other side was still 3,6). I Richened mixture to 3,6 and we did some ignition testing. Afterwards we checked CO again, and now it was up to 5%, debris in the carburetor??? Nothing in the bowls, I´ve checked. And it doesn´t burn everything, at idle HC ~400. I try next to go richer, new rods(again). By the way the 440 sits nicely on 10$ sex sylinder K-member(modified) and some old motor mounts, number from Shelbys speed secrets (RB to SB K-member 1973-76). They work if you move drivers side mount 25mm and pass. side 20 mm back in the SB K-member(I took measures from that and converted the cheap 6 K-member). About that mixturesetting, you mean I seek for the best vacuum reading in idle?? And that poor quality rebuilt engine i bought, it had valve seats grinded with only 45 deg, so the widest seat was about 4mm, we regrinded them and rounded to R-seat. Connrod weight difference 30 g!!!! Crankshaft was about 200 g offbalanced, and its oilholes were not rounded. Obviously all the parts came from different engines. Now its balanced under 2 g. Thanks for hints, we continue tunin
Old 07-28-2002, 12:31 PM
Inactive User

Yep, it´s the carter thats causing the broblems. I tried with 600 cfm vac. holley I had and after some adjusting 440 started to work. No more hesitating, it works!!! Only it now lack some power, but atleast it runs nicely. And now we know it´s not ignition or mechanical problem. Have you guys have info about the jet/rodsizes to the carter(this case)? I still don´t know if it was too rich or too lean. Or maybe there is something wrong with the carburettor?! I have tear it apa