Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2002, 05:15 AM
Inactive User

Default 727 and 360 rebuild ???'s

Hey Guys and Gals,
First time poster and Proud to here!!
Couple of quick questions.
I'm looking for a book on how to rebuild and modify a 727. Been told there is no such monster by the tranny shops. But when I ask them how due they know what the specs are its usually a click on the other end of the phone. So I guess its a big secret.

Next Q is I'm going to be rebuilding a 360. If I balance the entire lower end do I still need the torque converter to balance it externally?
Im sticking it all into a 89 Dakota. Should be fun.
Thanks for your help and I'll be baaack.
Scooter
Old 08-05-2002, 06:43 PM

Thumbs up Books and Balancing

First, the books are readiliy available from several publishers. Motors probably has the more industrial version/shop oriented book. There may be others like Chilton's, Clymer or Haynes that are worth the money. You might want to look at Amazon or one of the other book stores on line to see what they show.

As for the balancing act, it is possible to balance internally, but it takes a couple sticks of mallory. I don't know what your background is with respect to typical balance machining, so I will try to explain what is required. The counter weights on the 360 aren't heavy enough by themselves to balance the assembly internally. So we add a heavy metal, mallory to the counter weight by drilling through the counter weight and pressing the mallory into the crank. Some machinists prefer to tack weld the mallory after pressing to ensure it stays where you want it. Being heavier than the cast steel crank and having slightly different thermal expansion properties can cause it to loosen up over time. The amount of mallory required depends on the weight of the rods and pistons and the rpm range desired. More rpm requires more counter weight.