Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-14-2000, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Question

I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, so can anyone tell me how much I should look into spending to have the following done on my '69 Satellite (318). I'm looking to make it driveable and reliable, not a showcar.
Engine rebuild -has 130000 miles, it's not running anymore. The last time it ran, there was black smoke from the exhaust. (7 years ago)
Bodywork -needs new floors in the front passenger area.
Brakes -I'd like to convert from non-power drums to power discs up front.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2000, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

This is where you need to balance your love of the car against what your wallet can stand. It will cost a lot to do what you describe. The question really should be "What is it worth to you to have your baby the way you want it".

In any case, you are looking at several thousand dollars. Body work, metal work, drive line rebuilds are all expensive.

Please don't think I am trying to discourage you, but if you go on with this, set a budget, research what needs to be done and how much, then reset the budget accordingly. After all that, add 50% and you'll likely be in the ball park.

If it makes you feel any better, I have almost $16K in my Challenger, that is maybe worth $18K, maybe...

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
71 Dodge Challenger R/T 440, B5 Blue w/blk vinyl top
Old 03-16-2000, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Wyldman is right. No matter how you slice it even if you do it yourself, it is going to cost. The engine can run anywhere from 1200 to 4000 dollars with a mild rebuild. Depending on how much damage you did. In general 300 bucks will get your motor out and another 300 to get it back in. The brakes would be at least 300 if you did it yourself, using a junkyard donor car for parts.(at least that is what it looks like it will cost me when I am done with my c-body. Not counting the front end rebuild.) I have not done any real body work to my car yet, but that I can't do myself, so I am imagining setting aside at least 2 to 3 grand for parts and labor there. (I just had a car fixed for hail damage all they did was pdr and it was nearly 2000.)
Old 04-08-2000, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Wink

<dd>Yep, having it professionally done is expensive -- how much depends upon your planning.

<dd>For my '71 Barracuda, my body shop of choice has told me minimum 100+ hours. At $60/hr., plus parts, well, you get the idea. Fortunately, my lady has her car paid off, so I will just have "car payments" for my restoration loan -- I'm too ansy to try and save up the $8000+ for a full resto.

<dd>- novicius -