Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Randy's...these guys are awesome

I called the guys at Randy's today, spoke to a guy named Dave. They are real honest and really wanted to sell me what I needed. I blew a couple of teeth off my 8 3/4 Sure-Grip and don't need any future headaches. I told the guy that Mancini recommended the Auburn Pro series diff, he told me that several of the Auburn units he has sold have failed after several weeks of hard use. After talking to him for a few minutes about the car and what I was looking to do, I have decided to go with a new 742 case with a Detroit Locker, 4:86 Richmond gear and a billet steel yoke. I was told by other sources that you could not get the locker for a 8 3/4. What a nice experience dealing with these guys! He even told me that the Yukon axles they sell were stronger than stock, but I would probably be better off using Moser, since they stock A body axles for my application (running the larger bolt pattern B body brakes) Randy's rules, can't wait to get my hands dirty and get back to the track!

http://www.intense99dak.com/images/S...non/wayne3.jpg
Old 08-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Inactive User

Down at big eds

Humm sounds like the wrenches down at big eds have been turning again.
It also sound like you found your launch problem on your duster.
Was it an axel?
Or some thing else?
Inquireing minds allways want to know.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Banned

Are you talking about Randy's Ring and Pinion in Washington State?

If so, I know what you mean, they know their stuff and I reccommend them to all the local boy's...another good source here on the west coast is Dutchman right here in Portland.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:18 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Great to hear that. I have heard good things about them in the past. Glad to see it was true. GFood luck with your ride!
4.86's...yikes
Old 08-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Inactive User

Dan, not sure what caused it, but when I pulled the center section out I found several side gear teeth badly gouged and two were busted off and floating around. Misc metal pieces also in the oil. Its the second time I have had problems. Its not going back to the shop that set it up last time. Locker, solid pinion spacer, billet yoke and new axles this time. I think something was binding up or locking one of the small gears and that may be where the pull to the left was coming from. Axles looked ok, but I think I'm getting the Mosers made for A body cars with B body brakes. That wat the drums will fit properly without spacers. Almost done with the interior and after that the rear gets my attention.

Check out this shifter!
http://www.precisionperformance.com
Old 08-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Banned

I came within a perverbial hair of buying one of those then a Hurst ratchet came on Ebay for $75 new in box and I couldn't justify the $200+ difference in price...but maybe some day....

I think they need to sponsor me...
Old 08-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Default Shifter

Big Ed
those are some impressive shifters. That electric shift controle really coght my intrest. But I would rather spend the money on go faster stuff. I biult my own shifter in my rail. It isn`t any where near as preittie as those. But when I shift through the gears I dont have to move my arm or my wrist. I actualy shift with my fingers. If you have ever sat in a rail or looked inside when the driver is in it,there isn`t much room for extras.
In my charger I just use the same slap stick it came with.
Don`t mis understand .Iam impresed with those shifters . But Iam use to mine. You know that old storie about old habbits die hard. Glad to hear the ride is comeing back to life