Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-22-2000, 06:21 AM
Mopar Maniac

Angry

I hope someone might have some info as to what my friend might be able to do about buying an AAR that was rebodied.All the AAR
stuff including the VIN.,cowl number,and core support numbers where changed over to a solid bodied Cuda.The seller never told him
this,he said only one fender had been changed during the restoration.The AAR was supposed to be a California car the Cuda body
probally was. When helping my buddy with the
rear brakes I noticed the welds around the torque boxes looked as if they were mig welded. Then we started to investigate a little more,weld snot on the back side of the cowl were the cowl number was butt welded
in place. Besides breaking the sellers knees
is there anything my friend can do.It has had a lot of people fooled at shows.My friend and I have been in this hobby for 20
years or so owned a bunch of killer Mopars
but this has never happened to anyone we know. Any answers might just cheer him up.
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 04-22-2000, 06:36 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Greeting,

Well, my personal rustbucket AAR will need its frame and 85% of the metal replaced. Perhaps he can take my example and build one.
For the 'Cuda body I suggest he makes a hot drag racer!
Old 04-22-2000, 06:52 AM
Mopar Maniac

Lightbulb

I was looking for an intelegent answer to my
question. Thanks anyways
Old 04-22-2000, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Cubic,
Did you determine the vin # of the shell car?????? It might have been stolen & used for the restoration of a rustbucket.. If you can actually prove that the car is NOT an AAR I would say you have a VERY GOOD case for a civil suit. I'm not sure if the older cars had confidential vin 's. But if they did that would give the actual vin. Give me till tue & Ill contact one ot the auto theft guys I know to get his take on this... U do know if it turns out to be STOLEN U will be out of a car!!!!! Yes you could still sue but chances are the fella that goes to jail for the theft of it will have $0 dollars..
If the car isn't stolen I would SUE the fellas A#@ off... For all of the money & then some.

V10
Old 04-22-2000, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

Question

Intelligent reply? What do you mean?
Old 04-23-2000, 01:31 AM
Mopar Maniac

Thumbs up

Hey v10nacuda,
The Cuda shell was not stolen,it was
bought legally in ILL. we found that out from
another friend.We are going to investigate much closer tomorrow with camera in hand.It
was very cold last week and as curious as we were we'd had froze.Someone had mentioned to my buddy that the number on the cowl might
have been lap welded in place,I thought it was butt welded my hands were awful cold. I'll know for sure tomorrow!! I had aways thought it was illegal to switch numbers on
cars.But nobody can tell me what the penalty
is in Illinois.Reguardless the seller is a jerk for not explaining what was going on. I
think he could use some concrete overshoes!!!
Seller has a brand new truck he could sell to
to repay my friend. Also my buddy Mike said Thank You for the help!!! Maybe he'll get a computer when this nightmare is over.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2000, 03:38 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Read the real or clone topic in the rumors and gossip section of this chat forum. This subject of retaged cars is discussed there. It is illegal to retag a car without first contacting the police and proving both cars involved are legit. TAKE THIS GUY TO THE CLEANERS!
Old 04-23-2000, 03:57 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

check the rest of your vin #'s on the AAR to see if they all were changed. There should be one under the drivers door sillplate, There should be one under the trunk weatherstrip seal, you dont have to pull it off to find it just look at the underside of the metal channel. it should be on the drivers side close to the trunk hinge. There should be one on the tranny tunnel on the passenger side, you can see it from under the car. I think there is one more.
Old 04-23-2000, 06:38 AM
Mopar Maniac

Thumbs up

Thanks I'll let you guys know what We find
out tomorrow.these are some of the things I needed to know.I know there are a lot of good Mopar people, just have to wade through
and find them.Thanks Again!!!