Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2002, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Oiling system for RB blocks

I have been reading for quite some time that the RB blocks of the late 60's have had some oil pressure issues. Apparently a couple of racers shitcan the 906 cast heads and stock oil system and upgrade to a better pump and aluminum heads. I know that these guys are running some wild setups and need the hi-po mods, but they all say the same thing about the 383 and 440 heads.
INDY has addressed this issue with their special pump, lines, and their 440 heads, cast and aluminum, and pretty much made a way better setup to get the oil all in the right places, preferably the heads.
Just wondering what you guys think or have had any experiences with oil pressure drops. I sold my 906's a while back and will be getting some aluminum heads along with the hi-po oil setup in the future.

Have a good one,
J-440
Old 08-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Default oil pressure

I haven`t had any problems with oil distrabution or pressure drops due to head design.
Allthough VERY highly UNrecommended by me,I have heard of racers blocking off that oil passage.
For the purpous of trying to keep more oil in the bottem end.
This would no doubt smoke the valve train in no time.
perhaps in a circle track aplication with hi rmp for extended periods of time this may be a prob.
But for drag raceing and hi rpm for only a few seconds this is not a problem I have seen.
If I were running circle track I would change to a larger pan and a swinging pickup tube.
Happy trails
Old 08-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Violent J

Restricting oil to the valvetrain is only really needed for HV pumps in High RPM moders...I restrict mine with a .060 hole in the inlet lines...works fine...I also run HV melling pump with 10 quart pan and internal pickup...works good to 7500 RPM..
Old 08-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Inactive User

On my 440, I just have a high pressure melling pump, hemi 6 quart pan, and had the block drilled and tapped for the hemi pickup (do not how much good this is, as the rest of the oiling system is un altered) , I have never had any pressure drops or anything, in fact, this thing has 40 psi at idle.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Hi,the INDY heads dosent have cast in oil feed channels-thats the reason for their "external oiling".Do the HEMI modification to the block(this isnt a full race engine?) drilling the pump feed channel
as per the enginebook,remember that there is much old know how on these engines.ya know gays like sox,martin etc.
GET a good or MODIFY the oil pan,standard isnt up to the task.The ceap way is to lower the sump 2 inches and recalibrate
the oil stick(use the same amount of oil as earlier).Baffle in the rear of the sump were it becomes flat sligtly pointing downwards.(not extremely necessary)AND lengten the oil pick up 2 inches.
use a windage tray.If you are in to more exotic things try Milodon or Ray Barton.But read the book.