Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Default I'm Stuck - Wilwood Disc Conversion

I bought the Wilwood disc brake conversion at the nationals in Carlilse off of someone who had bought the kit new, but had never installed it. I went to put them on this weekend and the adapter plates for the setup don't line up with the holes on my spindle. This kit is supposed to be for use with drum spindles which I have. I called Wilwood and asked a tech. I told him I have a 68 Barracuda and the kit of theirs that I have and that my drum spindle has 4 holes in it and its in a square/rectangular shape, and that the adapter plates with the kit have 3 holes in a circular kinda shape, and he said someone may have changed my spindles over the years when I wasnt the owner of the car. He had a point, but I know a guy with another 68 like mine in the area, I swung by his house and asked to check out his spindles, just so happens he's re-doing his brakes as well, and his spindles are the same as mine, so I know I have the correct drum spindle. Maybe they put the wrong adapter plates in the kit or something, cause the label on them says 66-72 CDP - A body adapters. But I dunno, should I call Wilwood again? and try running part #'s by them or something? I'm not sure what to do, and seeing that I didnt buy the kit directly from them, I can't return it or anything. I'm hoping I can get the correct adapters and bolt the kit I have up or if diffent kits have different adapters. What do you guys all think?? Or have any of you installed one of these kits or had any problems with them?
Old 08-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Banned

It sounds to me like you may have the disc brake upgrade kits rather than the drum conversion kit...just a thought.

Call Wilwood and see if they'll fax you the shop drawings for the kit your supposed to have and the one they reccomend.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Inactive User

Their website should have exploded view drawings for each application. I found that helpful when I did the rear disk conversion. Also, call back and talk to Dave Polack (spelling?). He was pretty helpful once he got over the fact that he wasn't the only smart one on the phone and that I really did have a problem with the installation. I emailed him digital pics and he got me fixed up.

They also have assembly lists that have the p/n of each component.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

Problem solved..... I hope. cuda66273 was on the right track. I indeed have the incorrect adapter plates after confirming that I had the correct spindles by looking at my friends car. I called a Wilwood tech. and talked to him for a while and explained the situation. He matched my car up with the part #'s I have and said the plates I have are for an original disk setup. Then he figured out that the only part thats different on the disk kit and the 10'' drum conversion kit is the adapters themselves, and every other part is the same. The bad situation would be if I have 9'' drums then the entire conversion kit is different. I measures the diameter with a tape measure, looks darn like 10'' to me, so I ordered the "hopefully" correct brackets from Summit after the tech. gave me the correct part #'s for the brackets I need. So this should all bolt up now..... thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated when the brackets arrive and when it all goes together.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:49 AM
Banned

Go ahead and pat me on the left shoulder...the right ones gettin' sore....
Old 08-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

When I had a little problem, similar to yours, Wilwood shipped me the right stuff - no charge. I didn't buy them from Wilwood direct, either.