Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Cry the2.2 is eating like a hemi

My sons 87 reliant-k is sucking down gas like if it was a hemi,and no it don't perform like one,also when starting cold or hot,it races like crazy,even after running a while,a stab of the throtle will make it race,the vacum lines look ok and I put a heaver sping on the throtle, it's closing all the way but still races,at an idle watching the fuel injector,it seems to be dumping a lot of fuel,what can be done to help this 2.2 ,,dam that spell checker was nice,,,speedfreak.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Probably a bad o2 sensor, or maybe a fuel injector leaking. A bad o2 sensor will usually read 0V which the ECU interprets as lean so it continues to dump excess fuel into the mix.

Have you checked the codes - turn the key on-off (just power on not start) 3 times then leave it on the last time. The check engine light will flash the 2 digit engine codes. My guess is you will get the o2 sensor one.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

thanks, i'll check it out and see what happens
Old 08-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

thanks , moparjimbo, i tried it and the check oil light blinked 3 times, paused and blinked 4 more times...so now what...thanks again
Old 08-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Possible Help

I don't know if it is the same or not but I used to have a 84 laser with a 2.2 Turbo. I had an O2 sensor go bad and not only did the mileage drop to around 10 but the exhaust had a chemical toilet
smell to it.
I don't exactly remember the fault code but the way the codes worked is to cycle the ignition like you did on/off, on/off, on. If no fault codes exist you will get 5 bilnks then a pause then 5 more blinks. This is code #55. When you look in the service manual it states 55 is end of test.
I believe your car is giving you fault code #34. I don't know what that is but if you have a manual it should have a fault code chart in it or try to convince your local dealer (parts or service) to tell you what fault code 34 is. I still have the manual for my old car and I will try to find it to see what it says.
It was an 84 so I don't know if it would be the same for an 87.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Thats correct sounds like you have a code "34". "55" is all clear, no fault codes.

Find a book, even a crappy chilton's or hayne's useless book from a parts store for $10 will give you the codes in the "emissions" section. Or if you are super poor/cheap they probably have a book at the library, or search for "chrysler fault or trouble codes" on the net. Find out what code "34" means - if it is o2 sensor voltage low, then that is definitely your problem.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

34 EGR solenoid Ignition on 84-86; solenoid not turning on and off properly
34 Speed control Engine running 87-88; servo not working properly when cruise is on

OK this is on Turbo cars. Maybe the same as your year concerning the egr. I had a friends car that burned black within 2 days of new plugs. The plugs then were quite black and sooty. It was TBI. If I remember it uses 4 sensors to determine fuel. O2, TPS MAP and I believe the coolant sensor. Changed all them no fix. Took me about a week to do this, between work and school, and her work and school. However, I swapped the fuel injector and all fixed. Be careful though, it was so rich it overheated the resonator/muffler in back (not sure how) and caught the trunk carpet on fire. Not fun! It was an 89 Daytona also
Old 08-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

speedfreak,

I kept the manuals for my 89 k car even tho it's long since sold off.
34 is s/c servo solenoids...an open or shorted condition detected in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits.
I know yours is a 87, but it may be the same, worth a try to replace the speed control switch.

Bruce
Old 08-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: the2.2 is eating like a hemi

My friend had a problem with his 87 omni very similar to that. It was the idle speed adjuster soleniod. To fix the problem temporarily, he disconnected and reconnected it while the car was running. If I remember right, it was located on the throttle body and it was a cylindrical looking thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by speedfreak
My sons 87 reliant-k is sucking down gas like if it was a hemi,and no it don't perform like one,also when starting cold or hot,it races like crazy,even after running a while,a stab of the throtle will make it race,the vacum lines look ok and I put a heaver sping on the throtle, it's closing all the way but still races,at an idle watching the fuel injector,it seems to be dumping a lot of fuel,what can be done to help this 2.2 ,,dam that spell checker was nice,,,speedfreak.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

thanks a lot,sorry i couldn't get back wright a way,my time is very limited wright now,i' hope i can get to it befor i go on vacation this coming week,thanks again all,,,speedfreak.