Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Help ECU... Coil... Ballast resistor????

Hopefully someone can help.. I am getting ready to start putting pieces back together and wanna make sure I use the right parts..
I still have my stock distributor, but with the light weight springs in it now.. I am putting in the MP orange ECU, and I have a new Accel coil. The part number on the coil is ACC-140305.. it is listed a a Mopar street/strip coil.. canister type..
Here's my problem.. what info I can find on the coil says it should use the dual element ballast resistor which means it has 4 terminals and is rated at .56/.50 ohms.
Now from the info I have for the ECU, it looks like you are supposed to circular file (trash it) the old ballast resistor and put in a single element one with two terminals rated at 1 ohm...
I have all the wiring diagrams on hooking things up, but I want to be sure I use the correct ballast resistor... Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks.... Jim

73 Charger SE 400 with a few extras...
Old 08-09-2002, 04:45 AM
Inactive User

Orange box ==> Two-terminal ballast resistor. (The "extra" terminals were used by the older 5-pin boxes).

Get a resistor that is recommended by Accel for your particular coil.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

If you have the orange box and dual ballast resistor there in no problem. Keep all five wires "do not follow the instructions that recommends cutting one wire. The orange box has four pins and bypasses the fifth wire and .5 part of the dual ballast resistor the 1.5 ohm part of the ballast will be operational and is all thats needed, in case of ECU failure which could be frequent with the orange box in a daily driver, then a four or five pin ECU from a parts house can be installed and keep you running.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Inactive User

Hmm ok now I have another question...
Just how often will frequently be?
Is there a problem with these orange boxes in daily drivers? It would seem they should last longer if they are not "worked" as hard as they could be.. Or is it because so much more use is being put on them?
Old 08-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

I ran my orange box for 4 years (in a daily driver) without a little problem. I did the cut wire/run off of the single balast resistor, and used the accel supercoil.. the BIG one. The combonation worked good for me until I upgraded to the Holley Annhilator stip unit. I only upgraded becuase i wanted all the extra features. As far as getting the job done, the orange box worked great.