Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Question What year 440 is best?

If I were buying a used 440 (complete) or just the block itself, what would be the best year casting to buy?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Inactive User

I think any 440 block before 75 is the best. Thicker wall. But I'm not to sure what year they went to a thinner wall.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Inactive User

I woudn't buy one after around 72 becuase at about that time, they started to put out less power.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:57 PM

There's no way to be sure of a quality block based on the year. The "thinwall" block has been proven a myth, sonic checks of '78 blocks have shown some of them to be thicker than blocks from the sixties. There is, however, some evidence that later blocks are made of a softer iron alloy.
My personal preference would be a '71 or earlier block but I'd sonic check it before boring
Old 08-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

If you are buying a complete engine, it depends on your ultimate use of it. The later ones have open chamber heads which run OK on unleaded gas - they also have hardened valve seats. The earlier ones have closed chambers for more compression, but no hardened seats. Also, the earlier, HP engines have other stock features which are desirable.

If you're just after a block, I don't think it makes much difference.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

As John said, its been proven that the later ('76 thru '78) 440 castings are just as thick if not thicker than the earlier blocks.
But with these later engines you get the cast crank instead of the forged steel piece. I know the cast crank is a fairly stout piece, but it is externally balanced and requires the special dampner and flywheel or torque convertor. Also, if you're going to use a four speed trans behind this engine, you need to keep in mind that the crank isn't drilled for a pilot bushing.
And the '70 thru '72(?) HP blocks (if I remember correctly) came with the six pack rods that also require external balancing (special dampner and flywheel/torque convertor). Its not a big deal but something to keep in mind.
Personally I prefer the '68 thru '70 standard 440's. That way you get the steel crank, standard rods (that don't require external balancing), and the 906 heads. And the crank will be drilled for four speed use.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Blaine - I've got a fresh '77 440 cast crank that is drilled for a stick.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

440 blocks

All of them were a great gift from mother mopar.
But the first ones were the best.
the 66-67 blocks had stronger webs cast into them.
Wich stifend these blocks and helped reduce core shift.
If you are looking for abare block these are the ones to get.
As they are the strongest.
If you are looking for a complete engine you should look for
a 68-72.
From 68-72 as a factory set up was about the best it gets.
As for a non factory setup still useing factory parts.
You can go through the years and pick out the best peices
from the best years for those peices.
But remember production all but stoped after 78.
So unless you have a friend with a colection of big blocks,
it could be both time consuming and expencive to
peice one together.
Happy hunting and good luck
Old 08-09-2002, 06:57 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Rice Mopar action says

Here is the realstory behind the castings!

Pre 75 blocks were made of higher density iron! They weighed more because of more mass!

The old saying that the later blocks were thin wall is not true! But were made of inferrior metal (less nickel)

One of the fatttest blocks ever found was year 76 440.

But when tested the hardness the block was not at hard as earlyer blocks!

Even though this block was thicker it weighed less than other pre 75 blocks!

The best method of checking is hardness tests and sonic checking! Because a rule of thumb is that just because you have a 70 440 block does not mean its always better than the 75 440 smog motor!

This was straight out of Mopar action, they run the tests and confirmed the old saying that later block are thin wall " not true"

MAYBE....................... MAYBE NOT

BUT ARE MADE OF INFERRIOR METAL!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:08 PM

I've done a fair amount of sonic testing and the thinnest cylinder I have found so far was in a '66 440 with a casting date of 7-5-65. Number one cylinder was .090" on both thrust sides, the rest of the bores averaged .280" with one at .365".
Thank you United Auto Workers.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:16 AM
Inactive User

As already mentioned, cylinder wall thickness did not depend on the year, but 67-70 blocks had a higher nickel content (ask any shop the bores them!).
Old 08-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

I have heard and read that the later blocks didn't have the hardness of the earlier blocks, but it still must have been pretty good metal based on a 1978 400 that I own.

It came out of a unmolested '78 New Yorker with 109,000 miles on it. I knew the history of this car, and while it hadn't been abused it certainly hadn't been serviced as often as most would recommend. The engine had never been opened up. When I pulled this engine from the New Yorker to put it in one of my cars I decided to freshen it up a bit first. When I removed the heads I was surprised to find almost no wear in the cylinders! I had a shop hone the cylinders, then I re-ringed the original pistons, replaced all the bearings, new cam and lifters, rockers, timing set,etc., did a valve job on the 452 heads, and buttoned it up. Its been a very good engine.

Is this contrary to what others have found to be the case with the later blocks?
Old 08-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Inactive User

Cool Best 440

I owned a 78 400 CID Cordoba and found it to be one of the best engines I have had. Drove the car for 10 years. The engine worked as good the day I sold it as it did the day I bought it. But, That is not the same Block as a 440. The 440 is a raised block and the 400 is a B block. I would go with a 67- 70 440. I have a 68 Chrysler 300, and as some have stated with the HP 440 you get a Forged Steel Crank, 906 Heads, etc. The 67 HP had the smallest Combustion Chamber, so I have read. Anyway lots of good articles.

Drive Fast
Old 08-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

If I was running under 600 HP (fairly common) I would use a Cast Crank. External Balance - run a B&M weighted Flexplate - convertor stays "zero" balanced. Everybody wants the forged unit which makes them expensive. The cast is lighter in both static and DYNAMIC weight - making you rev quicker. Rods were all the same - except for 6 pak, but I've seen those equipped from factory w/ 4bbl rods also

Most later block had larger coolant passages - another plus for a street driven car.

Bottom line - someone selling a '69 440 out of a Charger is going to think it is worth more then the guy w/ a '76 440 out of an Imperial. You could probably get the whole car for the same price as the '69 engine.

My only complaint with the later blocks is the water pump housing putting the connection right over the timing marks....what a pain! Easy swap to earlier style though.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

question, someone mentioned core shift. last number on the casting sequence on these motors, 1 thru 10, doesnt this indicate the number of cylinders that had to be , shall I say, fixed or redone? lower number indicates less potential problem with thickness.??
Old 08-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Inactive User

E Strong,
I'm aware of the difference between a B engine and a RB engine. My point was, that the metal in the '78 400 block I have seems to be as hard as the 440's I own.

I was curious as to what other guys on this site have actually experienced with the later blocks (that are supposed to be of a lesser, or inferior metal).

Maybe I'll start a new thread on that one.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

Good idea.