Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

Help MSD Ignition

I was considering and MSD ignition system for my 383 engine.
This would include 6 series controller, billet distributor, coil and wires. Has anyone had experience with these things and are they worth the investment?
Old 08-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

Welcome!

Andrew 65D-Let me be the first to welcome you to MoparChat! I'm planning on doing the same thing as you except its for a 'built' 440 and I'm using the 7 series. I've wanted the Pro Billet dist for a while but since my MP dist broke now's the time to step up.

Yes, MSD is a reputable company and I'm hoping for the best with mine. Wether or not it is worth it is really up to you and your pocket book. On a mild street motor you may see slight gains. The bigger your cam, CR and fuel system the more you need the MSD stuff. Or if you want to use Nitrous. Nitrous creates alot of compression making it hard for the plug to stay lit. CD ignitions have alot more energy and will keep the fire going.

Had another thought on this, if your 383 is basicly stock, MSD has just come out with a "Ready To Run" billet distributor that has a built in ECU and you just bolt it on and go.It also has a vaccum advance feature--which the Pro Billet does not. Cost is same as pro Billet.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Magnum 440,

Thanks for the feedback. My 383 has been internally rebuilt to stone stock specs. The only modifications thus far have been an Edelbrock Performer intake (dual plane) and Holley 650cfm Street Avenger carb. Current ignition is the original single point unit w/ Accel super stock coil.

I just read a 383 buildup in a recent Mopar Muscle article. This buildup included the ready to run MSD you mentioned. Seemed to work ok for them. I am still intrigued by the whole multi-spark thing at lower rpm such as with the MSD 6 module. You have a point with the vacuum advance though, I need such a thing for my relatively stock and quite heavy car.

Maybe I should look at a standard MP distributor w/ vacuum advance in conjunction with the MSD 6. My whole theory is to get away from points, pick up any power I can, and pick up some gas mileage as the car regularly sees trips in excess of 500 miles.

Thank again.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like you have a nice "cruiser" there. There are other benefits of a capacitive discharge ignition. The multi-strike occurs only below 3000 rpm so, it can smooth out the idle and the engine will fire right away. You may see an increase in miledge. Yes, you will want to keep your vaccum advance. A new electronic MP dist will work good with the MSD 6. Or, if I'm not mistaken, you can disable the ECU in the MSD Ready to Run Dist and control it with the MSD 6 box if you want the Cd and multi-spark.

Glad I could offer some info!
Old 08-12-2002, 03:08 AM

I'm lost as to why you are only using a 650 carb. A bone stock 383 will run a 750 vac secondary (3310 or 4150) with no problems. Even with a 750, you can tell that the engine still wants a little more.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:17 AM
Inactive User

I dont think he has the magnum motor. And hes looking for milege in a 65 Dodge 880.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Magnum 440,

Interesting about the distributors. I'm looking to make some kind of move this fall. I'll let you know how things transpire.

And yes, you are correct in assuming a non-magnum engine. The engine is actually of 1968 vintage that was put into the car in 1980 due to lack of funds at the time for a rebuild of the original 65 unit. It was put in used and ran for 20 years. I have no idea what mileage it has seen before the 70,000 put on in my tenure. The car was originally equipped with a 4 barrel engine. The replacement engine was a 2bbl until its recent rebuild at which time I went to the aftermarket components. The carb size was a dilemna for me as the new cam was nearly identical to the 290hp original. I went with 650cfm to be safe. I would love a 750cfm if I knew my mild engine combination would handle it. I am considering a carb swap anyway as I have mixed feelings about Holley's new Avenger units.

Thanks for the continued help.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:38 PM

I have run a 750 vac secondary on a 1970 383 2bbl engine. I put and EB TORKER intake on it, with the Holley 750 vac secondary.

I doubt that you will notice a difference in day to day fuel consumption, that is until you open those secondaries. The nice thing about vacuum secondaries is that the secondaries only open as the engine demands.