Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Default carb.

I am going yo buy an new carb for the roadrunner. 440 with flat tops, mild cam 4-speed , what brand does everyone like? I have run holley, eldebrock, thermoquads,carters on chevys but what works well with mopar bigblocks?
Old 08-11-2002, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: carb.

In the order of my preference: ThermoQuad, 750 AFB type, 750 Holley - vac secs, 750 Holley double pumper, everything else.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Seems the Holley's that I get (only 2) want to leak. I have run the Carter's with success. The Carter separates ABOVE the fuel level. This helps aleviate fuel leaks. My best running carbs are the 800CFM Thermoquad on the 340 4 speed Duster, and the 850CFM Thermoquad on the 440 Ramcharger. One of the best things about this carb is a lot of folks do not like them. You can get them very inexpensively at swap meets. Once rebuilt and ADJUSTED CORRECTLY (air door) They are hard to beat.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:12 AM

I would have to agree with the 850 TQ. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, EB will be releasing the Pro-Flo MPFI for the MOPARs. This is a 1000 CFM TB on top of a Performer RPM intake with an MSD Pro Billett distributor. It's alot more expensive (about $2,500) than an 850 TQ, but it is alot more flexible and efficient.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Inactive User

Thinkin'... my first new car - a '64/'65 Mustang Fastback cost less than that... did I say it was NEW!!
Old 08-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

Howdy Doug and Eh, I check in to the moparchat a lot, and it's for info and entertainment, but you 2 GUYS are very knowledgable, about the carbs and cids. I keep to myself about what I know, (many years of exper.) You 2 have me beat, cause i only did SHADETREE stuff for friends. ANYWAY, My new rebuild has... 318/030 over, a comp cam 265/270...465/470, 104 1/2 degrees , comp lifters,comp springs, 302 heads/188/160, ported, 9.2-1 cr, edle perf 318-360 manifold/1406 carb, NOW!!!... I don't think I'm getting all there is, and listening to you guys, I'm thinking I dont have enough carburater. Also I'm running a stock electronic dist, and also a 727 fqflt tranny. I've taken enough space on this site, e-mail me or what ever, THANKS DON
Old 08-12-2002, 03:19 PM

Like I said, it's more expensive. For myself, I'm looking at getting a Street Avenger 770, until the Pro Flo is actually in my budget. There are many other things that Christine needs, before I can even think of MPFI.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Default ATTN: Concord997

I think you should get plenty of snap from the 600 cfm carb - it's the same one I'm running on the 340 - I'd be looking at: advance curve (I don't mess with that myself, I have a pro do it for $40), I think with the mods you have, you've got a restrictive manifold - look at the Performer RPM (or RPM Air-Gap, if you don't mind waiting a little for the car to warm up). Also, you might consider a little CR bump - what head gaskets are you using?

If you are looking to change the carb, and this is a street car, the only other one I'd recommeend is a ThermoQuad.

Other than those small items, I think you've got it covered. By the way, what body is it in, and what are your rear end gears?
Old 08-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Hi Doug, Thanks for the get back. I just put a 742/3.23 Pumpkin, in and it has 2 1/4 exh. The 3.23s are 1 legged. I just CAN'T find a posi... The car is a 51 concord fastback. the engine fits nicely. I'm going to look into getting my dist curved. You say the perf airgap is a better unit? What do you mean by WARM-up time??? I get a hesatation, now, before it's warmed up. The machinist, that built the engine, put it together. He builds racing and street engines, so only he knows the head gasket. He did tell me that it has 9.2-1 C.R. And he said for the fuel to be 91+ oct. I got a kit, from Summit, for carb tuning, ....? Well, thanks for the get back, DON
Old 08-12-2002, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

The shop should have given you a sheet with important numbers on it - like how much the heads were shaved, head gasket thickness, position of the piston in the cylinder ( like: zero deck height, 0.020 in the hole, or 0.020 above the deck) combustion chamber cc of at least one comb. chamber on each head, piston to cyl wall clearance, main and rod clearance and how the cam was installed (if he did it).

If you weren't provided with this info, the machinist should - AT LEAST - be able to provide you with head gasket brand, part number and compressed thickness. If you just get the brand name and part number, we can find out the compressed thickness.

If you contact Randy's Ring and Pinion (I think it's www.ring-pinion.com or maybe www.randysring-pinion.com), they can supply you with just about any type locker or posi you want - I'm assuming that you have an 8 3/4 rear end??

The RPM Air-Gap manifold has no provision for carb heat (a good thing), either hot water or exhaust crossover, so it takes a few minutes for the engine to warm up and run smoothly. It really won't create a problem where you live.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

Hi Doug, I can't find the "SHEET", but the engine was decked, I don't know how much, and the heads were set up also, and the engine was ballanced, and I couldn't be more pleased, EXCEPT, I feel that it has a bit more to GIVE. I think you might have something, with the dist, curving. I'm going to find a place that can do this work. You did just remind me of one thing, about the cold hesitation, I pluged the heat crossover, on the manifold. I've heard of randys gears, that might be my only option. On AUGUST 25, there's a mopar show and swap (WINE COUNTRY MOPARS) here at the fairgrounds, in petaluma. Take a break, and come on down. (like people can do this ha ha ha) Till later Doug DON
Old 08-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the invite. I actually have some relatives down there that I could stay with. I'll check my piggy bank and see if it's doable. I'm retired, so it might be possible.

If you need a good, experienced shop to do your distributor, let me know & I'll turn you on to my guy.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Hey Doug, I'm smilling a lot, because I, to am retared...opps retired, got to many cars, and sit on the MOPARCHAT to much. Do you belong to the Cascade Pacific plymouth club??? It's in portland, I joined it a couple years ago,cause there isn't a plymouth club in calif..Their working on one now. Anyhoooo, I might get in touch with you, for the dist recurve people, Till later and hope to see you, DON
Old 08-13-2002, 07:02 PM
Inactive User

This is as close as I get to belonging to a club... unless you count the NRA as a club!