Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Cool Newer Chrysler-Infinity Stereo Transplant

I recently transplanted a Chrysler-Infinity sound system into my 65 Dodge Custom 880. The system came out of a Plymouth mini-van.

About the only tough part of the deal was getting the right wiring diagram. The system I have is something I have never seen before. Speaker amplification is located right on each individual speaker itself. Kind of neat.

At any rate, I installed the 4 speakers (2 on rear shelf, and 2 below the dash). I even used all of the mini-van speaker covers as they were a close color match to my original blue interior. The stereo unit itself got mounted in the glove box. I am not one into carving up perfectly good dashes, and besides my original AM radio still sounds excellent. The end result is a totally unseen package that really sounds pretty good. The neat thing about this setup is that if I want to add aftermarket speakers with an aftermarket amplifer it can be done super easy. Total price of my installation = $30. This was for wiring and high quality electrical connectors. (I got the Infinity w/ speakers for free...)

I managed to locate some very good information on doing all of this and encourage others thinking about it to get a hold of me. I'd be happy to get you the information.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Inactive User

it's the opposite for me. i just pulled the chrysler infinity tape player out of my daytona.. the 80's premium infinity systems are good, but just not that good. now i'm going aftermarket. and hey, if you ever want to sell your stereo.. you can make a LOAD on eBay. I sold that stereo for $31.. when i thought i would hardly make anything.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

I might as well add my two cents - about a year ago I decided to do something similar and bought a pair of 5.25 Chrysler/Infinity speakers out of a newer Caravan to transplant into my old '79 Lincoln. Paid $50 Canadian for the speakers and another $30 for a 60 watt Clarion to power them.

I gotta say these things sound excellent even in the Lincoln's ridiculous 5.25" front door locations - powering them off a good amp makes quite a difference I find. Next step will be to locate the amped 5x7's that go in the doors of the newer Caravans - need a little more bass up front. Also planning on removing the tweeters and custom mounting them beneath the dash. Eventually I'd like to complete the project and put the older '88-'95 Caravan 6x9's in the rear.

I'll agree you can make a killing with this stuff on eBay... even the salvage yard where I bought these upped their price by $20 when they noticed the Infinity name on the back. Can't really say I'm displeased with the price paid though - couldn't afford much else at the time.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:35 AM
Inactive User

Oklahoma, how did you bypass the speakers' small built-in amps? I'm running a nice pioneer deh-p3300 mosfet 50x4 head unit into these speakers but of course they're not being amped by it.. i would like to get the quality
Old 08-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

Actually these newer ones don't have amps - just a crossover bolted to the back... after '91 or so the systems depended on the radio for both woofer and tweeter power to these 5.25's. Presumably this is from the addition of the amped 5x7's in the doors. I should also point out that these speakers are laughing at the Clarion - you can probably get away with 40-50 watts to each.

Bypassing the amps is not that difficult, there are two sets of terminals on the speaker itself. One set should be attached to black and green wires if I recall right, and the other set possibly has blue and white wires. The green and black wires should go directly to the 4 pin connector, and is the audio feed direct from the radio that powers the tweeter. The blue and white set is from the amp - just cut these and run wires from the terminals to the tweeter connection and the amp's been bypassed. I believe the blue wire is positive and the white negative, but could be wrong on that.

Also, you may want to cut the gray and red power feed to the amp as well so it's not trying to power a non existant woofer
Old 08-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Inactive User

whoa, you have a lot of wires going on there. i think i only have four going into my speaker. so after i cut the blue and white wires coming the amp, i run the blue and white wire coming from the power terminals to the tweeter terminals?
Old 08-15-2002, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

The blue and white wires from the woofer terminals would be connected to the green and black on the tweeter terminals - blue to green and white to black is how I do it. Don't worry about the crossovers, these use a small capacitor next to the tweeter under the dust cloth for that and you won't hurt anything bridging the woofer terminals to the tweeter ones.

Ideally when this is all done the amp should have all its wires disconnected - the red and gray power input so it's not staying powered, and also the blue and white output so the input from the radio doesn't fry the amp in case you want to reconnect this amp in the future. It's also possible the woofer terminals are hidden by the amp, my memory's a bit foggy on this. You may have to remove the amp to see them.

If the amp is screw mounted to the speaker, you can probably remove it anyway to make the wiring a bit easier to follow - what we're essentially doing is taking the amp right out of the circuit so it doesn't need to be there at all. Just keep it handy should you want to sell the speaker at some point.