Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2002, 02:56 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin 68' Roadrunner smokes Buick GN

Last Saturday I was in Long Beach heading home after stopping for breakfast , when I see some guy in a GN in my rear view mirror a couple of cars back . After a couple of miles he worked his way next to me in the other lane , and sure enough we catch a red light . The Buick guy throws a couple of revs at me , and I respond by throwing a couple back at him , he responds by power braking it and spinning the back tires . So OK I figure this guy wants to run my roadrunner , which by the way is in pretty rough condition , faded paint , peeling vinyl top , dinged right front fender , I'm sure he's thinking this will be an easy kill against some old beatter Mopar . I see the light turn yellow for the cross traffic and hear the Buick load up against the converter ,I do the same , the light turns green and I side step the brake and roll into the throttle , the drag radials work well and I spin the tires hardly at all , at six grand I shift to second and look in my rear view mirror and see the GN is about three car lenghts back , I hit third and look and he's about four back , after that I lifted and the Buick guy did too , he was beat and he knew it . He stayed behind me for a while and then turned right after about a mile or so . Iv'e run a couple of GN's and have beaten all of them , but I know there are some damn fast Buicks out there but I haven't seen em .
Old 08-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

awsome kill man! Ive seen some GN's at the track and some of them are scarey fast. Its funny how most people dont even know what they are cause there are soo little around. You wouldnt even know their fast either because of how quiet and plain looking they are.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:02 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Good race and have you been to Rubys on Redondo Beach?
If not you should check it out some fridaynight before the summer ends....
Old 08-15-2002, 06:29 AM
Inactive User

No , I haven't been to Ruby's , but I'm off this friday so I'll probably go over and check it out . About what time does it start happening ? If anybody from the board is going , please stop by and say hey , you can't miss me ,it's the grungy red Roadrunner with the peeling black vinyl top .
Old 08-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

from like 5pm-9pm(or so) there are usually 50-200 cars(usually somewhere in the middle, on sunny days count on 200). Its god fun and Redondo has ALOT of really neet cars tucked away. Every week there is at least 1 new car that is earth shaking...
hope to see ya there
Old 08-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

I myself had a similar experience, though less dramatic im sure with a GM G body. My friends 81 olds cutlass with a 3.8 liter. Up against my slant 6 Dodge Dart. Both cars bone stock running no better then 19 second 1/4 miles id say. Anyways... so my friend and i decide to go for alittle race... From a rolling start, he had another guy in the car we went at it from about 30-60.. first he pulled on me slightly then at around 50+ i start pulling on him by a nose. So anyways we drive on further till we get to a stop light. I powerbrake my dart to the best of my ability with the crap drum brakes, he did.. who knows but anyways the light turns green and bam... the low end torque of the slant six gets me out of the hole leaving him in the dust... by the time we hit 50 he was back by about 3 car lengths .. (probably took about 10 seconds) there was no sign of him gaining or me really pulling on him so we just quit there.
Since then the flipped air filter lid, removed AC, rebuilt carb and exaust tip cut off past the wheel have made my car a bit quicker so now id smoke him even more. Thats not to brag cause as of now my car probably couldnt even break into 18s in the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:23 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Big Block..I think I saw your car at Rubies last week..sorry it wasnt a steller Friday..it was all overcast..those are always the low turn out days...
anywa hope to see ya there again sometime, sorry I missed you this last one
cheers
Damion
Old 08-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Maxwedge , yes that was me , since I had the only Roadrunner there . My girlfriend and I got something to eat , looked around a little bit , not very many Mopars to look at , and hung out for about an hour . We were looking for you , but oh well maybe next time .
Bill
Old 08-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

This summer has sucked. The Beach hasnt even reached 80 degrees yet so for this summer. Its always overcast and crappy.
usually a bunhc of guys from the South Bay Mopars club meet at Rubies, but it just didnt happen last Friday...hope to see ya there soon tho