Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

Default Mopar Performance electronic ignition

Guys/Gals,

Fired the rebuilt 318 up for the first time on Saturday. Fired immediately and I ran it in for the recommended 30 minutes at 2500 rpm.

I shut it down and let it cool for another 30 minutes but left the ignition in the run position (by mistake). I tried to restart and the car wouldn't (battery was fine, cranked strong). After inspecting, I noticed the ballast resistors (I am using a MSD Blaster coil) were so hot they sizzled water, and I don't remember them being that hot (i know they get hot, but i didnt remember that hot!)

So, I swapped in another set I had and she fired right up. Any idea what this could be? What is actual factory coil voltage after the ballast? I was reading like 9 volts after the ballast voltage drop.

thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 03:03 PM

If I recall correctly, you shouldn't be running a ballast resistor with the MSD coil. The MSD coil should be able to handle full voltage.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

MSD supplied a 0.8 ohm ballast with the coil and says it MUST be run in series with the stock ballast.

Seems the coil should have 12 volts to me also.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:49 PM

Ballast resistors are a thermal resistor, they are encased in ceramic because they run hot. At night you can often see the glow of the element reflect off of the shiny firewall.
They normally have higher current flow when the engine is at low speed and zero is as low as you can go so I wouldn't be surprised that one burned up under those conditions.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

wow, i'll check the resistance tonite and let you know.

thanks for the tip!!!

Tom
Old 08-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

MSD makes a lot of coils, so, if they recommend running this resistor, then the coil must be designed to run at 9 volts.

I would double check the location of your resistor to make sure it is in a relatively cool spot. When you left the ignition in the run position, there was no air flow at all, which may have helped you to cook this one. Maybe in a race situation you can get away without running the resistor, but in a daily or street driver, you would probably burn the coil up pretty quick!

Run the resistor they recommend!

One other thought...

I know with the stock MP ECM setup, the resistor is bypassed only when the ignition switch is in the cranking/starting position, applying full voltage to the coil during startup (Since the starter is engaged, this gives whatever is left to the coil.) So, even a stock coil was designed to run with the ballast 99.9% of the time!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Default mopar ign.

I JUST INSTALLED A MSD 6AL IN MY CUDA, INSTRUCTIONS SAY YOU DON'T NEED BALLAST RES. IF USING MSD BLASTER COIL WITH MSD IGN.. BUT USE BAL. RES. W/STOCK OR FACTORY TYPE IGN.