Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2002, 07:32 PM

Question 90/10 com eninering drag shocks and maxi cooler / engine oil questions

i have a 73 Road runner 68 440 engine 4 spd i got comp enginering drag shocks for front and back i was woundering if i could keep my air shocks in the back so i could adjust it faster for softer or stiffer for racing or will the combination only work right with a four drag shocks i have all for but i have 2 rear sets of tires ones some small tires that are dont hook up real good but they are smaller so its like a bigger gear i have a 4.10 gear in the car and i have a set of wide micky thompsons that are taller and make it like the gear ratio is smaller like a 3 somthing gear. the micky thompsons almost rub my quarters thats why i kindof hate to take the air shocks off but if the drag shocks wont work right with air shocks in the back i will just tub it out or use the smaller tires maybee they will hook up better with the comp engineering drag shocks my cars around 4,000 pounds what should i set the drag shocks at in fron and back or air shock pressure? what is best for drag racing and road racing?

when i put my maxi cooler on will it lower my oil pressure in the car because it has to travel threw a radiator or will it be fine? should it be ok? or will the pressure go up whats the best oil to get for a 440 like 20 w 50 10 w 40? what brand and weight? i useually use the valvoline racing oil 10 w 40
Old 08-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

Gripe re: oil press. & oil type.

Your oil press. will likely drop, speaking from experiance. I ran a hemi backin '82 and because of the use of 20/50 oil, my start up press. went past the 120lb. to whatever, and never went below 95under accelleration. Rather than drop the oil weight I added a dual remote oil filter and about 3' of supply and return lines. The press. dropped to 105lbs. at start up still using 20/50 Kendal, and 85lbs. at accell. That was before I built my own engines. Now, with typical clearances, and a hi-press. pump, I use 30 weight Castrol Synthetic, and run 80lbs. at start up and 65 at accell. and if the press. drops I stepp up to 40 weight. Yes, you can expect a drop in oil-press.,with your cooler, but not significantly. (probably 10-12 lbs.) Len
Old 08-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Do they still make them like mother use to?

Iam not formilure with the typ of cooler you have chosen.
I perfer the one that mother mopare used on the big block
highway patrole cars.
That setup flowed out of the block from the usualy pluged
fitting next to the oil sending unit.
That way if there was any drop in pressure it was after the engine had already recived its oil.
After leaving the engine it was plumbed to the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator and the trans cooler.After leaving the cooler it was then plumed to the front fuel pump bolt.
Wich was a 3/8 bolt drilled down the center,with a modified head.
Made to accept the steel line`s flared fitting.
after passing through the bolt the oil pumped right out on the timing chain.
As I said before Iam not formilure with your set up or needs in
this area.
But I sure like the way mother mopar made hers.
Do they still make them like mother use to?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

ok,,,,drag shocks in the front- if your going to drag race - set shocks to 90/10 ,,, front settings for road racing ,,I'm thinking get road racing shocks might even be better , drag shocks are really not for continous use, on the street or road racing, could be really dangerous,and they wont last under the stress of road racing ,and set the rear for drag racing to 40/60 I'm pretty sure..but might have to change it for your personal taste for rear.. the shocks in the front,keep front end up,to keep weight transfered to rear and the rear keep rear down to do same thing. like chin up squat your butt and hook up. this is what i think i know ...............others may have different info .... some see the weight transfer thing different.... good luck..

coolcarz