Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-13-2002, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

Default a very GOOD reason to STOP streetracing...

click on this link at your own risk!! maybe get a bucket or sumthin to catch vomit...

http://www.amplus.com.br/crashed/ferrari/ferrari1.htm

WARNING! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC PICTURES!!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Inactive User

Wow. I still don't think this will deter the young and full of testosterone to stop street racing. It wouldn't have stopped me in my early twenties from street racing my Duster. But boy is a good reminder now of the possibilities. Took me a few minutes of focusing on something else to keep from puking. I am grateful for surviving my own behaviour now. We all have too much to lose. We as mopar fanatics have proven our street superiority time and time again. Maybe it's time to lay back a little on the street and prove ourselves on the race track. Amen.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes2

Um what exactly were you looking for when you came across this?!?!?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Inactive User

Yuk!! Thanks for posting that one...
Old 08-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Inactive User

Default 72 road runner

Perhaps you should consider this when your car is passing everything but a gas station.

Speed on the street SCARES THE $HIT OUT OF ME!!!

But I love to go quick in a semicontoled 1/4 mile with
the meat wagon close at hand.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:07 PM
Inactive User

disgusting!!! makes me want to buy a old k-car!!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Hmmmmm...

.... I think I'll have a light salad instead of those hamburgers ans sausages I was going to make for dinner tonight....
Old 08-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by rb77413
Um what exactly were you looking for when you came across this?!?!?
actually, my brother gave me the link on ICQ...i don't know what he was lookin for, but somebody else probably gave him the link...

if you delete the "ferrarri/ferrarri" stuffs, you can see other crashes, none as bas as this but still.... there is even a scene of Princesa Diana... heres a link...

http://www.amplus.com.br/crashed/famosos/diana.htm
Old 08-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Inactive User

Default "I am a street racer" (Right)~~

Did anyone catch the show on TLC I believe about a bunch of import racers in San Diego?
They dumped tens of THOUSANDS of dollars into those 4 banger buz bombs. It was typical to gernade a motor after a few races.
A burn out was dumping the clutch at 5K RPM.
I really felt sorry for those kids. Why didn't someone turn them on to a old Dart or Duster with a 318. They could have gotten MUCH more bang for their buck!!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:51 PM

So, roadrunner, are these pictures going to deter you from racing on Main street, in the future??
Old 08-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler
So, roadrunner, are these pictures going to deter you from racing on Main street, in the future??
well, i'll think twice about going on to second... i'll put it that way... when i "race" on main, its from one light to the next...its over by then cause the rice burner is still smoking his front tires... i don't think i'll be going out to brookover road though (behind a feedlot...cows are pretty big...) maybe i'll save it for the track...won't get into as much trouble at the track either...
Old 08-13-2002, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

Default Dr. Righteous

I saw that show... I almost passed out from laughing at the "street machine" accords with big spoilers and rims
Old 08-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

I had seen that link before, pretty gory.

Here is a link to more trashed cars, not as gory. Check out the Viper section
http://www.wreckedexotics.com

I could also scan the picture from the newspaper article where my wifes aunt and uncle were killed when hit head-on at 80 MPH by a drunk driver. They were in a Pontiac Firebird, the drunk was in a Dodge Spirit. Fire department was on the sceen when the accident happened. They were responding to an un-related accident a few blocks away. My parents neighbor was one of the firemen at the sceen and said my wifes aunt/uncle were killed on impact, the drunk was ejected out the passender side doors window and survived, but is paralized (I'm not sure if it is just her legs or from the neck down?)

The Firebird was given to the police to use as a display for their "don't drink and drive" example of what can happen.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Hey come on you could die taking a bath although its not likely but were these guys wearing seatbelts? how fast were they going?were they drunk? honestly thats a typical "Autobahn" wreck were speed limits dont exist,its also like that in Saudi Arabia.Take me for instance I ride a street bike evry warm day,Ive even done it in L.A. for several years,and Ive never been hit,sure Ive avoided 100 or so incidents but only because I started out in the dirt on a 5hp minibike and graduated a little at a time,so now I race a 10 sec car and ride a 10 sec bike for over 10 yrs and the likelyhood of me ending up like these guys is nill,rich young spoiled punks cant drive,they never learned in a piece of junk,no one taught them how to drive etc,you and I arent running around on ego and image either.I recently came across a motorcycle accident where this guy tangled with 8 cement dividers scalping himself and breaking alot of bones,even after all my experience I still made sure I learned from His mistake and I also bought some better equipment just in case.Stupid people do stupid things.it is possible to go fast with very little at risk,know your vehicles condition constantly,dont go beyond your skill level,dont give in to peer pressure,dont drink and drive,mostly dont forget its all in fun and somewhere there is a line where it changes from fun to potential disaster.My rules are dont go more than 70 in a 35 zone and slow down the second you hit 70,but never go fast where there are side entrances to the street your on,and I do this in a car that outstops nearly everything out there,and Ive practiced panic stops from over 100mph on roads that where barren.Remember if you get a ticket and you were speeding...shut up and take it like a man,its not the cops fault you exeeded the speed limit.Mostly though remember younger people will imitate you and there shortsidedness may fall on you,be smart...........PRO......
Old 08-13-2002, 11:13 PM

I'm affraid that I must disagree with you. Street racing is pure stupidity! I don't give a darn how good of a driver you THINK you are. The fact is that you are racing on a street that is shared by many people that don't have a clue as how to drive.

What are YOU going to do, that night that you are doing 70 in a 35 and a drunk (or old person) without his headlights on, turns in front of you?? You didn't see him until you were right on top of him.

What are you going to do that day that YOU are doing 70 in a 35 and some kid runs out from behind a parked car??

You can try to justify yourself all that you want, but it doesn't change that fact that it is purely stupid.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

I must say I do agree to most of what PRO had to say... Seat belts?.. No I dont think they were wearing them.. I have responded to more MVA's then I'd care to count.. if you looked at the pic of the car, and then the pic of the two that were in the car, it is pretty clear that at least one of them left the vehicle at a high speed.. ejection..
nuff of that..
Back to PRO.. I think you circled all around a point you were trying to make.. It all boils down to a few things.. knowing your own limitations, your vehicles limitations. You cannot forget COMMON SENSE..... something that seems to be lacking in far to many folks.. But I think the lack of common sense goes along with something else.. and that is a lack of respect for the machine that they are operating. Stop for a sec and think about all the really stupid things you have seen.. Most all of them involve new cars and mostly rice burners.. very few if any involve good old American steel.. Maybe thats because if nothing else at least the people driving, working, restoring, rebuilding them have respect for the cars...
Oh well I have rambled enough.. sorry if it hurt your eyes..
Wait there is something some of those other car owners do that is really stupid... thinking they can keep up with a Mopar..

Jim
Old 08-13-2002, 11:41 PM
Many Cubic Inches

I thought I had a good tolerence for gore, but those pic's really made me rethink. Obviously those two were going way too fast. My version on street racing, which I continue to enjoy every now and then, is at a stop light. The complete race lasts only 3-4 seconds. Once I pull out in front for more than a second or two, its over...I let off the gas. Now if it happens where the other car pulls ahead of me for more than a second or two, I also let off the gas and accept my defeat.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

Amen brother. I have to thank a higher power these things never happend to me when I was stupid enought to street race. I don't mind taking myself out, but I never want to take anyone else out, innocent or otherwise.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:05 AM
Banned

I lost 5 school Buddy's in 1969, left the local A&W on a Friday night in a 427 powered 55 Nomad wagon...they made it about a mile......they won the race with the Mustang, we buried all of them the following week.

I almost got in that car but decided to eat 1st.........thank Gawd my stomach overpowered my brain.

Tracks are for racin'-Streets are for gettin' there.

I learned alot from that.....I've had one speeding ticket since 1969....62 MPH on I-5 in Ca. I guess pick-ups with race car trailers are considered trucks in Ca.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 AM
Inactive User

ehostler,dont speed on streets with parked cars especially in residential areas(duh!!)drunks abound on weekends rarely on weekdays,when cops see a car w/o its lights on all the red flags go off,"drunk",we should take the same attitude.Something you learn racing at high speeds is look ahead,far ahead(especially on motorcycles) you even have your line already picked out long before you get there,being aware of your surroundings is critical,like I said stupid people do stupid things and smart people can do smart things and a perfect example is knowing when not to speed......PRO.....
Old 08-14-2002, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

My 2 cents...

Street racing is just plain stupid and it kills and hurts way to many people. Just like drinking and driving anything is stupid!

I have learned much like Cuda66 (all to closely) what effect either of these events have on others entire lives.

You can all try and rationalize you only race stoplight to stoplight but that's all your doing is rationalizing... Samething with knowing your own limitations... Another rationalization. Forget it! If you really knew your limitations you would know you have "limited" control over yourself and no control of anything (including the car you are driving at excessive speed) besides yourself. The argument that you can kill yourself falling out of a bathtub or walking down the street so what the hell... Well again rationalizing away common sense. Talking a bath (at least for some of us) is necessary and so is walking - I generally try to take care in those activities as well because yes you can die doing just about anything...

Racing belongs only on the track... Bring your "A: game to the track and I'll race you one on one all day long in front of all the witnesses and if I lose well corn dogs are on me!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Banned

...and the Fat Lady sings....
Old 08-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Inactive User

Default In case you can't read Spanish...

.... the site mentions that authorities estimate the impact speed at around 280 Km/h. The pictures clearly show the car has been ripped in half, and at least one of the guys wasn't wearing his seatbelt since he doesn't have any bruising (typically caused by seatbelts during accidents) on his shoulders and upper chest. As for the other guy, who knows, he might have had better chances of surviving this had he been doing a hand-stand on the car's roof.

Here's a neat gadget I'd like to see invented: A speed swith that automatically un-fastens your seat belt when you go over 100 MPH. Let's see how brave you are without your safety net.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:07 PM

Pro - if the cop isn't there to see you racing/speeding, then guess what... He's not there to see the person that didn't have their headlights on, before you plowed into them and killed them.

Like I said, you can try to justify it all you want, it still doesn't change the fact that street racing is just plain stupid. I've seen too many people killed by it. And yes many of them were in very well maintained muscle cars.

When I lived in Sacramento, back in the '80s, there was an area that everybody went to race (why they didn't go to the Sacramento Raceway is beyond me). It was a streetch of road that was straight for over a mile. It was wide enough to fit 3½ cars side by side. On one side of the road was shrub. The other side was a drainage culvert and then a big farmers field.

One year (either '88 or '89) after Car-Expo, alot of people from the show went out there to race (even though they could race for free at the Sacramento Raceway, because of the show). One of the cars, that was (past tense) a show winner and in great mechanicle condition, had a problem at over 100 MPH (during the race). He ended up landing in the drainage culvert, upside down. The culvert was full of mud and murky water. Because of the size of the culvert, no one could get the driver out (he was at least smart enough to leave his friends at the starting line). He ended of drowning in the mud.

Another occasion, someone was just running fast on his motorcycle. His helmet was on his girlfriend. He wrecked the bike at 100+. He was dead before his body stopped slidding down the pavement. His girlfriend only lived because of the helmet. Her body was ripped up pretty bad. The spectators loaded her into the back of a pickup and drove her to the hospital. 911 was called from tne nearby Diner, so that they could recover the remains of the driver.

One that happened in Nebraska, was a guy that was just running his car hard, down a desolate road, out in farm country. He was driving a late '60s muscle car. He came up on an unmarked/unlit railraod crossing, at abot 75 MPH. A locomotive was parked about 2 miles away. The train was about 3 or 4 miles long. Sitting on the unmarked crossing was an unloaded flatbed car. The level of the botom of the flatbed was just above the hood line of his car. By the time that he made out the flatbed, it was too late. He had locked the brakes about 15 feet, before most of his car went under the flatbed. The top of his car and his upper torso were ripped off by the flatbed.

A friend of my, who was a tow truck driver, was called to the scene of another accident. This one was a First generation Camaro. The Camaro left the Interstate at an approximate 95 MPH. Because the Interstate was on a raised hill, he went airborne and hit a telephone pole that was on the bottom of the hill. He hit the pole about ¼ of the way from the top of the pole. After the investigation was completed, it was determined that a front wheel bearing had failed and the tire seperated from the vehicle. 4 people died in this incident.

My ex-stepfather was in law enforcement in the state of California. Because of that, he was allowed to receive the monthly CHP magazine. It was mostly comprised of pictures and stories of the way stupid people killed themselves in their cars. Most of the deaths were caused by drunks or street racing.

Say what you need, to make yourself feel better about street racing, it still doesn't change the fact that it is plain stupid. Keep racing on the track, where it belongs.

As far as "smart people doing smart things", well smart people don't street rac
Old 08-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Read : Untouchable

Default well

well, if i wanted to go back and bring up every shark attack i can remember reading about, i could start a protest about how swimming in the ocean is a stupid and dangerous idea and your only out to hurt yourself if you go swimming.

you don't mention what kind of cars have crashed in those accidents...
i bet if you take the time to recall what cars they were, they wouldn't be chrysler products.
at 75 mph i can see about 4-500 metres ahead, even if it's a little shrub, let alone a RAILROAD CAR parked in the middle of the road that i'm travelling on.

all of the recent fatalities in street racing are caused by import idiots. they think themselves and their cars are immune from regular laws and restrictions, and it's obvious when you see these idiots drive.
there never was a problem back in the 60's when muscle cars raced on every road, so why bother us muscle cars now? it's obviously the import losers that are killing themselves off, and as
far as i am concerned, let them. they are a danger to every one of us out there, including the cars that we put so much time and money into.

when was the last street race you were in that you hit 160 mph?
i have never had to race a guy on the street past 80 mph, and even that is usually a pretty lengthy race. if i see someone in front of me, i don't even start to press the gas. but if import idiot in the other lane has someone in front of him, he is just as likely to swerve into oncoming traffic in order to pass said car as he is to just slow down and be patient.

there is one thing i have a problem with though, and that is 'race spots' where sometimes hundreds of cars can gather in one area and race at speeds well exceeding 100 mph.
one time i was at a race like this, and a friend of mine in a nissan wanted to race me. i told him maybe later. the two cars that staged instead of us were plowed into by a drunk driver in a volvo wagon. the wagon than bounced off of the talon that it collided with and ran straight into a dakota r/t and a shovelle. had the volvo swung to the other side of the road, it could have hit my buddy's car. when a whole bunch of people get together like that i agree it can be far too dangerous, but the occasional blast down a back road never hurt anyone.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

Default street raceing

I agree with tar babies opinion.
If they eat me up out of the hole then Iam done.
If I eat them out of the hole then I am done too.
1st and 2nd gear and its over one way or the other.
It doesn`t happen often .
but some times I just can`t help myself.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

Well the situation has changed from years ago. There are alot more people, ( and seemingly exponetially more STUPID people) out on the roads. At 168 MPH seatbelt or not your done. Most of the time the youthful bravado is going to overcome the reality- until they see something like this. Racing in populated areas is extremely stupid- save the bonzi runs for early sunday morning out on a remote area of interstate. That way you only get yourself,( a choice I think YOU should be able to make), but if there is a danger of dropping an innocent person- NO DICE. Hey maybe we could teach this to the hotdog pursuit cops who wind up maming and killing hundreds each year because they just gotta get that kid for speeding?
Old 08-14-2002, 05:05 PM

I've got some bad news for you... When you are coming up a mild incline, with no other lights except for your headlights, it is near impossible to see an empty flat bed rail car.

I have seen MOPARs as well as brand-x cars end the race in death. The make/model of the car really doesn't have much to do with it.

I don't car how good of a driver you THINK you are, you cannot take into account the actions of the other people that may be around.

No matter how you try to justify it, street racing is just plain stupid. At least the track assures that you and you opponent are the only ones on the pavement, so that if something goes wrong, you are the only one to get hurt/die.

I was young and stupid once, myself. I admit to the fact that I did have my share of street races. I grew up and stopped street racing after someone I knew died street racing. Since then, I have been able to look back and see just how stupid I was.

Life is short for all of us. Why make it shorter for yourself or an innocent bystander, because you think that you're the best darn street racer out there??? If you're so good at racing, why haven't I seen your name, with sponsorship at sanctioned events??

Do you think that Dan Gartlits<sp> or Kenny Bernstein<sp> are stupid enough to street race?? No, they knew that they were good at what they did, and they did it on the track, where it belongs.

Wake up and smell the dung that you are trying to spread.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

All the more reason I need to keep racing computer sims....I like to think it's a release for some of my squirrleynous. Is squirrleynous a word? Man, those were sick pictures. Ugh.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2002, 08:14 PM
Inactive User

The article stated they were going about 280 KPH, or 180MPH.

You know, Dale Earnhardt stuff, without all the safety equipment that failed even him.

BTW, ever see the Discovery special on high speed collisions?...the best was a test jet into a concrete wall at 600 MPH...it totally disintegrated..only dust was left.