Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Turbo /6 Valiant

This is what I have...

1971 Valiant 4 door, 47000 original miles, 198 slant 6, automatic...stock as stock can be...(even has the original wires and plugs)..

Heres what I want to do.....

I just want the car to be a driver... I have a drag car.... this one is for cruising..

Now I heard that a turbo can help mileage as well as adding a few ponies..(remember I'm not building a drag car)....

Would a turbo from a 2.2 work alright? Can you suggest something?

I'm thinking about putting the carb in front of the turbo instead of blowing through...2 barrel ( what size?)

Will the slant handle 4 or 5 lbs of boost in stock form?

Should I find an intercooler?

What size exhaust should I run so I'm not choking the motor? 2 1/4, 2 1/2..

Is 20 mpg out of the question?

Tell me what you think...
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Cool Plan!

Since it is only a 6 you can probably find a suitable turbo off a donor turbo car. Tbird Turbo Coupe, or maybe a Buick turbo 6. Mind you the turbo and wastegate assembly will have to be rebuilt, but you will save some money in the long run if you get it done. Use a carb, but go with a 'blow through' setup not a 'draw through'.
A blow through is the turbo mounted before the carb not after.
You can probably get creative with the stock manifolds and weld up a adaptor tube to mount the turbo to. You must use a waste gate or it is possible boost the /6 till it blows a head gasket or worse. An intercooler isn't 100% necessary if you keep the boost relatively low around 6 lbs. The higher the boost the hotter the intake tempature. You will have to back on your total timing and probably run 92 octane gas to keep things in check. If you go about this right there is no reason you can have a significant increase in power and just as good or better gas mileage.

Good LUCK!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

if you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jyturbo/ and do some searching.. there is somebody there who has pretty much done the exact setup you are talking about.. it should save you alot of questions... But, be forewarned... use the search before asking a question, most everything has been answered already, and a few of the people are blunt/rude some times, but take it with a grain of salt, there is A LOT of good info there for anybody wanting to build a turbo setup, with out taking it to Turbonetics along with $10,000 and having someone else build the whole system for you.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the help... I just found out tonight that I can have a whole turbo setup off a 2.2 for free so that is probably what I'll use...

keep the suggestions coming..