Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Dodge Charger R/T in Winston Cup?

Just read my latest addition of Motortrend and there was an article about the Dodge Charger coming out. They said it will replace the Intrepid!! They also said it will have the 5.7 HEMI in the R/T. That will be awesome to see the chargers running again around those racetracks. Now I wonder if NASCAR will allow Dodge to build a race version 5.7 HEMI. Seems to me that Dodge has it all planned out,,,,,bringing back the charger to replace the intrpid,,,,,,,bringing back the HEMI but in a small block form small enough to make the 358 CI limit for NASCAR. Sounds awesome to me.
But I dont think NASCAR would allow that king of power and domination again.

I think its funny about the rules change for the GM cars for michigan,, I mean if a chebie dont win in four races they get there panties in a wad and start crying to the sanctioning body.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

Default The only way they'll allow hemis...

Is if EVERYONE has them, because they have not retreated from their "no hemi head" position so far. It doesn't matter anyway, because as you said, they wont allow anyone (especially Dodge!) to dominate.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Sorry, I'm gonna be the optimist here. Nascar can't allow its rules to stagnate racing technology forever. Just like you said Skeezer, "Dale Earnhardt is dead, get over it". Tommorrow's heros won't all be driving shivys. One good thing about life is, it changes things, popular opinions and people. Just a matter of time.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Hope you're right!

But Na$car will drag their heels like a man on his way to the gallows!
When are they going to try and figure out how to use fuel injected engines? There's got to be a way to do it and keep the competition even(although "maximum performance" is just that, whether an engine is injected or not!)
You can bet they won't allow hemi head engines 'til Phord and GM are good and ready!
Old 08-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Inactive User

I think NASCAR would allow the hemi to run but............If it has any kind of advantage I'm sure they will come out with a new rule that is for all makes but hurts the hemi the most to keep competition equal.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

As much as I would like to see a Mopar dominate on the tracks, the close competition between the different makes along with the personalities of the drivers is part of the reason NASCAR has exploded in popularity. I read alot of negative things about NASCAR's attitude toward Dodge. Even with the addition of another manufactuer doesn't it make sense NASCAR would stick to what got it here? Thoughts, opinions?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:39 PM

Default Sorry, but no dice

I keep hearing over and over again how people hear rumors of a "hemi" running in NASCAR again. As a matter of fact, I get plain old tired of that speculation, like the word "hemi" is going to make that engine the end all to be all of racing. The truth of the matter is, that the days of the true, hemi superbirds, and charger daytona's is over. The new breed of NASCAR dodges has the newest, up-to-date power that money can buy. The dodge guys had far more power right out of the box than any of the other brands, and NASCAR found a way to cut it back so that history wouldn't be repeated. Also, this new "hemi" isn't a true hemispherical headed motor like the famed 426, but rather closer to a polyspherical headed motor, much like the original 318 A-block.
I am a mopar fan in truest form. In addition to owning several, I also am one of the few that run one in an IMCA modified on a weekly basis, which is no small task. It may seem that I am gruff, but I just get tired of people acting like it would be as simple as putting any old hemi in a racecar and "poof" instant domination, and that just isn't the case.
Also, the help that the chebby guys got didn't help them win today, now did it? That nasty, brown Furd snuck in and fixed that. Just wish it could have been Sterling, but oh, well, there's always Bristol!! Just my opinion, and ....................See ya at the track!!
Old 08-18-2002, 11:44 PM

Default Sorry, but no dice

I keep hearing over and over again how people hear rumors of a "hemi" running in NASCAR again. As a matter of fact, I get plain old tired of that speculation, like the word "hemi" is going to make that engine the end all to be all of racing. The truth of the matter is, that the days of the true, hemi superbirds, and charger daytona's is over. The new breed of NASCAR dodges has the newest, up-to-date power that money can buy. The dodge guys had far more power right out of the box than any of the other brands, and NASCAR found a way to cut it back so that history wouldn't be repeated. Also, this new "hemi" isn't a true hemispherical headed motor like the famed 426, but rather closer to a polyspherical headed motor, much like the original 318 A-block.
I am a mopar fan in truest form. In addition to owning several, I also am one of the few that run one in an IMCA modified on a weekly basis, which is no small task. It may seem that I am gruff, but I just get tired of people acting like it would be as simple as putting any old hemi in a racecar and "poof" instant domination, and that just isn't the case. Just my opinion, and ....................See ya at the track!!