Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-18-2002, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

Help front end components?

Has anyone used MCQUAY-NORRIS front end parts? (ball joints, tie rod ends) they are sold by Auto-Zone around here. Aany quility issues? Thanks for the help
Old 08-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

I'm pretty sure I have used them.

There not a moog or trw, piece thats for sure, but they're OK.

Are they priced like a premium part, or more like off shore stuff?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for the reply, Autozone prices them about $8-10 cheeper then Moog parts
Old 08-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

I wouldn't be afraid to use them. They're a middle of the road kind of part, that will meet your needs.

Hope that helps
Old 08-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Why bother using middle of the road parts when you can have the top of the line for 10.00 more....im sure your going to keep the car for a many years.....
Old 08-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Why bother putting a 100000 mile part on a car you you'll be lucky to put 3000 miles a year on?

If your changing a bunch of pieces, $10 per piece adds up fast.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Default MCQUAY-NORRIS

I though I would stay out of this because my opinion is tainted. Three years ago I ordered a pitman arm for my Cordoba and it didn't fit. It was too big. When I went back to Autozone, they insisted the part was right and my car was wrong or had been changed. They said they checked with the company and confirmed it was the right part. I saved $25 on a part I couldn't use. I didn't go into Autozone for 2 years and only then to buy some washer solvent.
I could have use the $75 bucks more than a door stop.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

I'm sure these parts are o/k, i'm sure they would last but there is usually a reason that the part is cheaper and it's always in the construction of the piece......as always you get what you pay for...would you put CTC parts on your freshly restored 60,000$ Cuda or a Maico 295.00 paint job on your Hemi Charger? If your going to sell the car in the next year i agrea don't spend the extra, but if you plan on keeping it do the job once....

Why not take a few seconds and conpare the warranty if you are concerned...
Old 08-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Default watch the small parts

I've put alot of the mcquay-norris parts on my dart when i rebuilt the front end. i couldnt tell you how they wear, the car still is not on the road. but if you do buy any, open up the boxes and make sure the nuts, bolts, cotterpins, and seals are all there and the right size. they tend to not put the right size stuff in the boxes.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Banned

Moog makes the best front end parts in the industry and that's what steers my car at over 100 MPH every Sunday..over and over again....we tried the MacNor parts on some of our dirt modifieds...what a disaster...center links were junk, one tap and they'd snap, boom into the wall.

I know they meet or exceed OEM spec, but who ever said OEM spec was any good?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

There are a couple of places that I search for the best/most expensive parts, even though I'll look for the most cost effective in other areas.

One place is the brakes - I always buy the most premium stuff I can find.

The other place is suspension components.

It doesn't matter how much attention to detail you have put in your interior or drivetrain, if you have a brake or suspension parts failure at 20+ MPH, you are very often screwed. That's one reason I won't use Quickor parts - they are junk, and always have been.

I'd go with the stuff you KNOW won't let you down.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Banned

...and besides that the Quikor Guy is an A$$hole...right Doug!

Old 08-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Inactive User

Yep - Glen Rissberger - the crook you love to hate.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Tarrbabe , they would not let you return it? I just bought front end parts , had to order few things ... gezzzzz .. gotta say alot of these part stores have there heads up there asses, it pisses a person off when we know our cars and these punks that you deal with behind the counter can get sick... I have had a few run ins lately because of the quote " someone change the parts on your car before you got it",,,, went through that with rotors ball joints ect.... it's stock I know it , but, they wana argue.... and charge me a restocking fee 20%... thats fine if I ordered it and got it wrong, but they get it wrong and wana charge that crap.. bs..... telling them before they order anything I have not been able to get it from any other parts store, are they sure they got it right oh yes yes we can get parts others cant.... I say ok if your sure , because I'm sure when it comes on it will be wrong,, they call,parts are in sir.. I go to get them , BINGO , same part the other part stores had in stock they are wrong.... But we ordered what you asked for they say lol.. dumb chits!......(blood pressure rising!!) thats why mail orders scare me , shipping fee to return stuff. its not the money , its the principal, like the guy said up there the people at the factory sometimes box chit wrong, then it cost you not only the money but your time and hold some of us up from getting our cars on the road... I asked for a B-Body ball joint, he said a full size car ,I said a B-body car, he said , well you know what he said , full size right sir, I said ok show me this lower ball joint from this full size car , I said charger ,belvedere lower ball joint 1971 , thats what i want. has the steering arm with ball joint, the guys behind the counter said, those only come like that for imports... brings me some upper ball joint thing... I left have not been back... oh well I bought mcq parts for my duster .. hope they are ok.... where to get the bushings and seals for t-bar and struts? they all good huh? lol thank you my friends for all info!!!!!

coolcarz
Old 08-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

I'm glad this discussion came up, because in the not to distant future I am going to rebuild my front end. I have been looking around comparing prices and hopefully quality...
Cuda.. you say Moog is the best? I havent looked into them yet.. but I will now.
Has anyone ordered from PST or the Just Suspension folks?..
They look ok, not quite everything in one kit, but they seem ok..
Maybe I'll just have to buy all the parts seperately..

Jim
Old 08-20-2002, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

With the consilidation of most of the manufacturers, what you get is the same product in a different package. Take for instance Irethane suspension bushings made by Energy Suspension: PST Polygraphite, Mopar- Heavy duty urethane, Just Suspension-H. D. Polyurethane, or Graphite Impregnated Urethane its all the same. TRW, Macnorris, Perfect Circle etc are the same products. Shop for price and service most national stores will take parts back with a receipt, no questions asked.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks everyone for there thoughts, I went with the Moog, Understand there the best or equal to them. And your right about the suspension not being the place to save a few bucks, you don't want a tie rod snapping or comming apart when your going 70 down the highway.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation coolcarz

Yeah, that's it. Since I special ordered the part they wanted to get stiff and blame me. I tried to explain it and the manager started in about how when he managed a grocery store he knew how people got confused about asking for products. I tried to explain to him but he said since the part had been installed and removed, he couldn't do anything. Just like a bad cop, give some people a little power and they go crazy.
Do you think I will ever buy anything of importance from Autozone again?
Old 08-21-2002, 03:25 AM
Banned

Fred gets 4 attaboys for making the right choice.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

I bought evreything from PST - polygraphite bushings, sway bars and KYB shocks. It was easy to do, I got it all at once, had it shipped to the shop, everything fit... and it was worth a few bucks not having to chase it all down, and also having one place to blame if something went wrong.

I got the SS springs from Jeg's, and they screwed that up, but fixed it right away. I got the (0.904??) fat torsion bars from Jeg's with no problem.