Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Mechanical timming

I have a 70 383 with electronic ignition. It has two weights and springs in the distributor. I understand that to increase my mechanical advance I have to grind off some of the slot that weight slides in. And that the spring only determines when the advance occurs. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Inactive User

If you take apart the distributor you can see the weights. There should be a number stamped on them. Its usally 15 which means 30 degrees of mechanical advace at the crank. I have seen 1 with a ten on it.

I usuall want all my advance in by 3000 RPM so get a lighter spring. I just used another light spring from another distributor but MP has the right springs. Mine work fine.

If you have a vacuum advance unit it is adjustable. I beleive it controls the rate at which the vacuum advance comes in only.
You will need a small allan key to adjust just pull the vacuum line and insert your allen key until you find one that fits. Clockwise for quicker advance etc.....

I myself am still looking for an vacuum advance unit that is adjustable as far as vacuum advance is concerned.

I don't recommend modifying your current advance setup. Most Mopars like 34 to 36 degrees of total advance..

hope this helps..........

And if I'm totally wrong about the whole thing at least I will learn something, later........
Old 08-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Inactive User

I have 18 degress of mechanical advance at 2000 rpm. I don't know at what rpm my total mechanical is to come in at. My vacuum advance is another 18 degrees of advance. So my init advance is 15 + 18 mech + 18 vacuum = 51 total advance at 2000. I think this is way too much but I don't know what the most effecient degree amounts are. I blocked off the vacuum advance and put in a lighter spring. Now my advance is coming way too soon. I'm getting 18 + degrees mechanical at 750 rpm. I would think this is not a good thing.

Anyway... what should be my total mechanical advance at what rpm for the best performance?
Old 08-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

You should be looking for 35-38 degrees total WITHOUT vacuum hooked up, now you have to play with this as your cam will affect the amount of initial you can start with......i like to see it all in by about 2500rpm, but again tune to your set-up as this changes with gear selection/ converter? etc.....once you get the basic timing set-up move to the vacuum, cruise/ full advance will be around 50+, adjust to no detonation.....if you have only 18 degrees at 2000rpm i would be changing springs first, do not play with the slots until you base line your set-up and get an idea of which way your motor neds to go............DON'T BE AFRAID TO PLAY WITH THE DIST.! just make sure you write down everything you do so your can go back to the start.....HAVE FUN!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

Charger,
Check out this link: http://www.dippy.org/main.html
Click on "upgrades" and you will find a link to the Mopar Elec Ignition install and set-up instructions. It's got tons of info on mechanical & vacuum advance and how to set-up.
Found this on the board when I was having distributor problems, and it helped a ton.
Good Luck,