Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

Default Swinger Slicks

Anyone,

What is the largest 15" wheel tire combo I can fit under the rear of a '70 swinger with the small bolt 8 3/4? I ran a set of 60 series 14" BFG drag radials with a 4.56 rear end and it's really hummin when i crooze!!!

Any personal experiences are appreciated!
Old 08-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

The largest that I can get under my scamp with the wheels I have is. 26inx8in MT ET Drag.

I do have about 1 in left on the inside. My wheels are stock centers mounted on a 7in wheel with 4in back space.

Dennis Jokela
Old 08-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Dennis,

How does the car hook up?

I'm gonna be around 500 hp so I'm a little concerned about traction.

I was thinking about drag lites with the M/T slicks.

Tom
Old 08-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

Tom:

My car hooks well, but I don't have near the horsepower that you have and I only run 12.15 @111mph. Also I run at a higher altitude than you are at which loses some bottom end.

You may want to relocate the springs so you can use a wider wheel and tire combination. Also a little taller will help a little.

Dennis Jokela
Old 08-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Dennis,

Forgot to mention that 500 horse is an estimate on the bottle (150 hpp shot). The 318 is putting out around 350 hp naturally aspirated. It's a screamer.

What setup are you running? Just curious.

Tom
Old 08-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

FastDart.....It is possible to get a 28 X 9 MT in there with the proper backspacing. The problem usually lies with the the spring and not the body. As you know, if not tubbed, you will have the narrow wheel well with the lip at both the top inside and the rolled lip on the wheel well outside. The inside is easily trimmed, but the outside needs to be rolled for larger tires. I love the 28 X 9 Mickey because it is a softer compound than the 10 X 28 ET Drag or 10.5 X 28 ET Street. Remember, the taller the tire the larger the footprint. When you cannot go wider, go taller. The 10.5 X 28 ET Street is the same size (very close), but a harder compound. The 28 X 9 ET Drag will lower your 60 ft. times and will fit. I use a 7 inch rim for A-bodies and an 8 inch rim with the springs moved over with the small kit, not the one that moves the springs to the longitudinal. Mini-tubbing is trick on a stock appearing A-body.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

gotcha,

is the 28 X 9 streetable (ie, road legal)? I was looking at the drag lite wheels as my choice.

I would take the car to a tire store, but no shops around here seem to know tires from their xxxhole! It took me 5 trips just to get the drag radials last year and i won't deal with that type of ignorance.

Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Tom:

I thought McCormack racing was in the Detroit metro area? They are a one stop performance wheel and tire shop with good prices.

My car is a 71 Scamp with a 360, It has KB pistons,MP 484 cam 2.02 valve heads no porting. I run a Carter 625 AFB on a Weiand Stealth manifold. Swap meet headers of questionable parentage. I use a 904 with a stock convertor and 3.91 shure grip.

Dennis Jokela
Old 08-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

FastDart.....The M/T 28 X 9 is an ET Drag and carries no DOT number. You would have to go the the M/T 28 X 10.5 ET Street. Even then, they are very thin sidewalls, used as slicks in a DOT required circumstance. I would not recommend them for extended street use, but they bite very well. I use them for Street Legal Racing events and Sat. nite cruising. You would have to go with the Drag Radial for any kind of extended use. I run Weld Draglites on the street. Many guys are switching to Bogart if you have the money. The Weld still says "in your face performance" They are light, and affordable. Depending on the use, 4 1/2 to 5 inch on the front with a 165/85/15 radial. On the back, 7 or 8 inch rims with the above mentioned or a 265-50/60 Drag radial. (Possibly a 245-50/60) I do not have that much experience with the Drag Radial. The 3 or 3 1/2 rim on the front is not the best street choice. (twitchy at extended hiway speed) One of the nice things about the Weld Wheel is the backspace choices. Like a lot of things, the limiting factor is the intended use (the majority of the time) and compromise. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

A extra set of rims and tires is good ,, 1 for racing , 1 for street, in the long run it saves you money, depending on how much you drive your car on street.. depending on whats in your trunk the slicks may fit, not sure how big the trunk is on your car though. going to drags put wrench and tires in trunk you should already have jack, or in a friends car, change there... that way you can get a street tire that is more durable, but hook at the track, this may save you the price of 2 sets of streetable slicks (i'm guessing) , and then the weather is not so much a factor as with sl....

coolcarz
Old 08-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Forgot to mention.....both of these tires (ET Street and ET Drag) are downright exciting on wet pavement. Be very, very, very, careful. If it rains while you have them on, seek shelter immediately.