Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2000, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

My 440 68 Charger tends to overheat, i have replaced the fan, radiator, but it does not help. It stils run hot.What could it be???
Old 08-12-2000, 11:23 PM

We'll go down the easiest solutions first, then on down the line. 1. Remove the thermostat and boil with a cooking thermometer in the water. If the thermostat doesn't open at 160 or 180 degrees fahrenheit, then that's your problem. If you have no thermostat, it could be that the water is cirulating so fast that the radiator doesn't have the chance to cool it. Either install a new thermostat or a thermostat shell with just the center cut out to make a restriction. 2. Be sure your timing and carburetion is correct. Too much advance or too lean can cause an overheat condition. Be sure there is no slack in the timing chain as well. Remove the distributor cap and watch the rotor when you rotate the crank one way, then the other. There should be very little slack at the crank when you reverse directions before the rotor turns. If it's much past a half inch of turn at the crank pulley before the distributor rotor turns, maybe time to install a timing chain and gear. The car will run a lot sharper also. 3. Rod and cleanout the radiator, or even recore it. Sometimes with age a radiator can build up deposits that are impossible to get out. Be sure there are no small leaks allow pressure to escape the cooling system either. Flush out the engine good too, just in case there is built up crud in there as well. 4. If none of this helps, it's time to think about head gaskets. My 63 300 had a bad headgasket and nothing I did could get it to cool all the way down, also, 60's Mopars usually just had a steel shim headgasket which was prone to leak compression past the gasket into the cooling system, which in bad cases can make a car boilover within seconds of starting the engine. This is usually happens a lot on cars that were run on pure water, without the anti corrosive protection of antifreeze, the headgaskets sometimes corrode. Hope this gives you some ideas, and good luck! Let us know what you find.
Old 08-14-2000, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

Also, check the water pump, it is possble that it's worn. After all is said and done, you can add Redline's "water wetter", as this stuff will reduce the strain on your cooling system. I use it in my 'cuda, and have not had any overheating problems since.
Old 08-15-2000, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

Is your car actually running hot, or is it boiling over?. The latter can be caused by an aged or incorrect radiator cap that cant hold its pressure. I had a bad cap on my 69 charger with a 440, and it would loose water past the cap when it got warmed up. As soon as the radiator level dropped about 1/2 inch, I would notice that it was starting to run hotter, but never overheated. If neither of these scenarios sound likely, it is more likely your pump or belt slipping. Just a last note, if you did not have A/C in the car originally, and, or it was a small block car, you need to be aware that the 440 and the A/C Chargers used different radiators. The A/C cars used shrouds in addition to a larger radiator, if I remember correctly. You could simply have the wrong radiator for the job....

------------------