Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-20-2002, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

Default brake convert,a-body, info needed! please

Doing brake convert on 71 duster, got master power brake kit, do i need to get shields or dont put them on? dont think the old ones will fit, parts stores have them? hey , the caliper stuff came with 4 black rubber bands? ummmm , what the hell are they for? hehehe hold something? hummmm new to me and should I get the rotors turned,they are brand new, another one of those things that i've both ways on ... what do u guys think? 1 more thing if there is some nicks on the upper control arm where the ball joint goes through it , like they hit it with chisle while tring to remove the old ball joint , what ya think it aint really super deep ,just really noticable , and is the after market bushings like the polygraphite bushings the way to go on uper control arm, lower ca, ect... the ones i got in arms with brake kit are new , but if others better , I wana do it now while it's apart thanks for all the info, me buds.. gezz 1 more thing if my sway bar wont fit, is it a nessasary to have one, if so i will have the brackets moved, it wont be driven around corners fast at all 15x31/2 or 4 in front for just crusing around, drag strip here and there.. ty the questions are gunna get thick I'm now starting on both carz, so get ready bro's..... hehehe

coolcarz
Old 08-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

The shields are merely dust shields and arent mandatory for good braking.The rubber bands as you call them are insulators,they go on the caliper mounts where the pads sit,so that the pads dont come in contact with the mount and thereby insulate you from extra noise,believe it or not all mopars came with em but they deteriate so fast you rarely see them.Dont turn the rotors unless the manufacturer specifically states to do so,but be sure to clean the with brake parts wash!! Polygraphite bushings are great,and run the sway bar if you can they make for more predictable handling all the way around.......PRO......