Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Hello, I need help.

Hello everyone. I am new to the board and "Born Again" into the world of MOPARs that is. I am the proud owner of a new 1971 Challenger. This is my second, I bought my first Twenty years ago while a pup in the Navy. I am impressed with the wealth of knowlage on this board. OK enough with the ass kissing. My ride has a rebuilt Napa 318, with a alloy intake and a Edelbrock 650 carb. the 904 trans. and a tiny rear end. It runs decent but I WANT MORE!!!. I am puting in the new Elect. Ignition with the orange box set up, A set of Hedman headers. Here are a couple of quick questions. Do I need a new exhaust system? I was thinking about the 302 heads and a Cam. My mechanic says why dump cash into a motor that even when done I will not be happy with, he says go Big Block. Of course this means a new tranny and rear end as well. My goal is to get a car that has good not awsome power off the line, a fair bottom end, and good power on the road. What stock rear ends were avialable, and which one is best for my applications.

diego-ted
Old 08-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Why do you HAVE to change the rearend ??
Old 08-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

My mech. said I had the smallest rear end they made, and I would tear it up on the hole shots.. I do not plan on doing a lot of raceing, But I would like to light them up every now and then.

diego-ted
Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 PM

If it's the POS 7¼" (yes they did put them in 318 Challengers), then by all means try to find an 8¾" or Dana 60 rear. Be prepared, as an E-body rear won't be cheap. If you relocate the spring perches, a B-body rear will fit as well (I've done this). You'll probably want to go with a 3.55 or 3.91 sur-grip.

A 318 isn't a bad engine. A 340 would be a better choice. For what you are wanting to do with the car, there would be no reason to upgrade to a B/RB bloc
Old 08-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default I prefer a 360's longer stroke.

I agree with the big "E" there. Stay with the small block. The 318 isn't bad. However the 340-360 would be better. You could build a 340-360 on the engine stand while you drive the car.
I'd do a 3.55 sure griped 8 3/4 rear.
Install a basic shift kit in the trans with a deep pan fro extra fluid.
A mild 9.0-1 comp. engine with, mildly ported heads, mild cam, small 4bbl, headers will getcha up and running with some smokin tires when ya want.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:00 PM

As far as the 318 goes, cuda66273 has a 318 in his car. He is running 12.18 with it. OK, so it probably isn't streetable. I just wanted to mention it, to show that the 318 has alot of potential, if you know what you are doing.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks for all the help.

I guess since the 318 is fairly new 3K I will run it for a while. I'm going to go with the headers and ignition and see how she runs.
Can I keep the stock exhaust or should I upgrade now?
What will be my next best BANG FOR MY BUCK.

diego-ted.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Inactive User

I'd go with the MP electronic ignition kit, works great, reliable. Headers will give you a boost, but they're noisy. if you are planning on staying small block (as was said, PLENTY fast), any header will fit any 318/340/360, so you won't be wasting money. I'd go for TTI, though, and get the whole exhaust system right back to the tailpipes. It'll cost you less than doing a custom fit later on.

I went in between on the exhaust, but it actually cost more. I found a set of manifolds from an AAR (or T/A, I'm not sure which), a one year only rare HP manifiold for the small block. While not in the same league with a true header, it's a lot better than the HP or standard manifolds shipped on all other LA motors. Adapting it to the regular 'cuda exhaust took a lot of work, though. I'm pleased because the sound level and heat output(I had them jet-hot coated) is low.

You might consider a cam change, a little spent there on a fresh engine can make a big difference, especially since the intake and exhaust will be up to it.

Once you start this route, things that held up with a stock 318 will say bye-bye. You'll break motor mounts, so you'll need a chain or bracket to keep the motor in place. You'll trash the rear, but you'd need to upgrade that anyway. Make sure your brakes are fresh, you don't want to have a problem haulin it back down from 120 mph.

You might start to overheat, so check out the cooling system, red line makes a great additive, water wetter, that helps here. You can go with a lower temp thermostat as well.

Your starter motor will overheat from being to close to the header pipes, so get a thermal jacket for it.

and so on, and so on!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

Here is what to do,, want to light them up once in a while, kick some tail at the track and not a ton of money, invest in something you can use now and when up build your motor someday, get a nitrous system.. small one on that 318 will give you what you want w/headers & whatever else ya do......

coolcarz
Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I'm going to respectfully disagree with my compatriots here.

Go with the big block. It's an easy swap on an e body. A donar car with a big block, and a 727, should be readily available, if you just want to do it quick and dirty. Leaves the door open for building a really mean one later on, if you decide to.

Don't get me wrong, I've had small block cars, and they can be fast. There are a lot of guys on this board with GREAT examples of mean small block machines. But, it's a lot harder to get it wrong with a big block. I've also seen guys spend a lot of money on all the wrong stuff for a 318, and end up with a car that a rock stock 340 would blow off the road.

Remember

1)There's no replacement for displacement.

2)The only that beats cubic inches, is rectangle dollars.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:10 AM

Default i like the big block theory myself

personally, i think a big block would be a lot more fun, but that part is up to you. I definitely would swap out the rear end, and if yer fixin to do a lotta upgrades to the motor to make it real hot, you may wanna swap out that 904 for a 727 anyhow, cuz sometimes them 904's especially with no mods, you can cook em even with a mildly built small block, i seen it several times over now. Just my thoughts, if someone else has a better opinion, hey, share with the rest of us. take care, semper fi
Old 08-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Heres a site that'll help with the 318. He did a lot of homework on the lil'engine that could.
Also there are 360 engine combos that he did work on.
http://www.geocities.com/alwest_83/index.html