Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:12 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

:shock: Recurvin the flame thrower!

As you guys know I have been trying to optimize my timing! I disassembled the distr. and found that there was 2 diff springs on the advance cam! One was bigger than the other! After disasimbling the another distb I found the same thing! So I tossed the heavy spring and replaced it with the light spring from the other distr! Now they have the same size springs! Also switched the advance cams around! Origanaly it was stamped #17, witch i replaced with I think #11 but the slots are smaller! maybe 1/16 inch or so! This should take some mechanical advance out! I got it togather and now it idles much better, and pulls hard! It was pining I think (sounds like valves rattling) so I backed the timing off till pinging is almost gone! Still runs strong! Starts good when hot! I think Im close! So is the smaller springs a good ideal? I am going to get a timing light towmarrow to see were Im setting! But the future looks bright!

GET REAL! GET MOPAR!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

i don't know much about the mechanical advance or whatnot...but it sounds great!

have fun!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

you're heading in the right direction. The smaller springs will bring the advance sooner (usually under 2500 rpm) which is what you need with a hotter cam (I assume this thing is built). You still need to know total timing and when it comes in, but it sounds like you are getting there.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

6 packin - where are you located? It sounds like you are getting there by trial and error but I can plot your current curve or dial in a custom curve if you are interested. I am located in New Jersey. email me if you are interested. pd
Old 08-22-2002, 05:26 PM

My engine is about 10:1 365 cid, the cam is a Comps xtreme 230/236 Dur and 488/491 lift! This engine likes alot of intail timing when compared to stock at maybe 4-6 degr.!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

6 packin -- rear gear ratio? Automatic or manual. If auto -- stock converter or higher than stock stall speed? Is the vacum advance connected? 4-6 degrees initial advance is not a lot of advace. You would really benefit from putting a timing light on the car to establish initial timing without the vacum advance hooked up. Also, are you using a MSD box or just stock coil and electronic ignition? pd
Old 08-22-2002, 09:31 PM

I was just implying that the stock distributor had about 4-6 deg inital adv! Mine seems happy with about 14-16 deg advance and maybe another 20 mechanical, hopefully! I will let you know! I am currently running a 4.30 gear and a 215 series tire for now that is! Also the 727 (new) maybe a 2100 stahl (no tack) This combo runs very strong I can say! Even with the secondaries not coming in! Which I will fix when I get the timing dailed in!
Old 08-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Davisp, I'm interested in distributor work. I tryed to email you but it wouldnt let me. How do i contact you?
Sixpacken, My distributor has the same, small and big spring post how you made out. My engine seems to like 25 degrees at idle but it then gets way too much total set like that.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:28 PM

If you have alot of cam (overlap) You need maybe 14-18 deg inital timing! This can cause a problem on factory curved distributors. They have way to much mechanical advance built in somtimes like 30 deg! This means you can only run 4-6 deg initial. Mopar had many diff advance cams from the factory! I have seen them as high as 17 and low as 9. Im thinking a 15 cam has about 30 deg mechanical advance. You can get a low cam like a 9-10 or shorten your own by welding it up equally on both sides maybe like .050-.070 on a #15 cam! Now you can run more unital timing without having 40+ deg total! You can try diff methods like maybe unhooking the vacum advace and run just inital and mechanical. However works, maybe like 34-36 deg total by 2400 rpm's! As for the springs there should be one heavy spring and one light spring. I just tossed the heavy one and replaced it with a lighter one from another distributor I had!
Old 08-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

How much vacuume does it take to move the advance. I dont think I have enough at idle to do it. I got another light spring from an old /6 dist. I had . I think I will try to weld a little on the slot to limit total advance. Where do you get ones with smaller slide holes? I am thinking about 38 for total timing that sound right? Where did you find those numbers you were talking about, on the weights? All I see are part #s. Well I gues I got to play aroud to get it right.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:43 AM
Inactive User

amoparman, you can email me at davisp@ix.netcom.com

I have a couple of sun distributor machines and I have done numerous custom set ups. We can document your current vacum/mechanical advance and then optimize the advance curve for your particular application. pd