Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

Default What are the holes for??

Hello all..
I am putting a Edelbrock Performer intake on (2186), and was looking inside, under where the carb bolts up.. I noticed two holes, one on each side of the chamber directly under where the carb will go, and was wondering what they are there for. They look like they go through to another chamber underneath but cant see to which ones..

Jim
Old 08-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Inactive User

I'm pretty sure those are EGR floor jets, its for the EGR system.... some manifolds that are street legal come with the jets so they may sell them for street use, i.e..... so you may up performance on a smog motor legally... keeping the smog system on car,, not that anyone does, it's makes them able to sell them in states like Ca..... the stock manifolds have them as well, guess that goes without saying hope this is what your question pertained too.....

coolcarz
Old 08-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

I suppose that did answer my question, but it brought up another.
If those are EGR floor jets.. that means they open to the passages for the egr system, which I am not using.. but those passages come off either head and are open to the exhaust valves. Granted it will be easier for the exhaust to go out the header, but what effect will this have on my inflow of fuel and air? There should already be a low pressure in that area, and if it opens to passages that go to the exhaust valve, then wouldnt exhaust gasses enter into there also?
I guess its just that I have never seen these holes before and they are causing me some concern because I dont know fully what they do.
Jim
Old 08-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

I'm not sure how exactly how it works but, I know EGR stands for exhaust gas recirculation. So it must inject exhaust into the intake somewhere. Your suspisions are correct, maby.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Yes, those are EGR floor jets. They are there so the intake can suck in the exhaust gas as the exhaust looks for ways to escape the normal route of the exhaust manifold and pipe. This can be plugged up or left open to perform the way it was designed to. A little EGR is OK. It can help in some areas. (I have read.)
The effect of the EG coming into the intake charge will lower performance. A little EGR won't hurt. The floor jets lower performance a bit. It's to much for performance, enuff for pass emmisions. Detroit did what they had to do.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Smog stuff bahhhh... the egr works with several other smog signal and vacuum switches, a lot involved , anyway I suggest you go to where you bought the manifold or local speed shop and /or do a new post in here and ask how to block it off or how to get around it.... but dont do anything to them holes until you find out what and how to do it... I'm really not sure, and you dont want to mess up your manifold......

coolcarz
Old 08-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

They can be blocked off with plugs from the local store. Plumming surply or ACE hardware etc....On a stock unit, I think you have to create some threads to screw in a plug.
MoPar performance used to sell a kit to do this.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Yes I would have to thread the holes..
As they are now they are just drilled thru to the egr passage with some very large countersinks in them, their deburring I would guess. I will have to go look at it a bit more carefully because I dont think there is much more then a eigth inch or so of material there.

Ok now I guess the other question is.. does anyone have any information on the best way to plug these holes?

The intake was listed as EGR/Non EGR and came with two plugs to plug up where the egr valve would go alongside the carb. I was told that this was the only one available for a 400. And it definitly looks as if the holes were added after the manifold was made. It does not have the same machining as the rest of the holes..
Old 08-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

If you just use the plugs that were provided you should be fine.

This would work:
Performer RPM 383 #7186
Designed for 361 -383-400 c.i.d. Chryslers that measure 7.75" across block. Latest technology in dual-plane design results in both excellent low-rpm torque and outstanding high-rpm power. Recommended for high-performance street and strip applications. Will not fit 1962-64 Max Wedge heads.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Sixpack... its not just the two holes on the outside of the manifold.. there are two holes drilled on the inside, under the carb that goes between the egr passage and the regular fuel air intake passage..
And I have the performer 383 intake not the RPM one... and its pn is 2186 otherwise it looks just like the one in the pic you posted
Old 08-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

I realize that, you stated that they told the one you have is the only one for the 400, that's why I put up the RPM one. The one I posted is the 2186 to show the holes. The holes on the inside come from the inside hole on the outside. When you plug up those holes, no air will be passed through.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

If you're really paranoid you can get the intake gaskets that block off the exhaust gases. But you have to plug the holes on the outside so you don't have a giant vacuum and exhaust leak.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

But arent the holes on the inside still open to the exhaust, where it comes in from the heads? That is my main concern, having them open to the exhaust gasses... unless this is no a perfectly normal thing and will do no harm.
Jim
Old 08-25-2002, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Hehe.. it would seem you beat me to the punch on that last one.. concerned = paranoid maybe
I guess I'll have to think on it tonite...
Thanks for the help so far..
Jim
Old 08-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

No the holes on the inside go to the inside hole on top of the manifold then go through the egr valve to the exhaust.
It flows in reverse but you get my drift?

Old 08-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

I would still consider the exhaust block off gaskets, will make the carb run cooler.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

Yes I think I do get your drift.. lemme see... the two holes on the outside do not both go to either side of the intake and thus the exhaust.. but rather both sides of the exhaust go to the same hole and would then go thru the valve and to the holes on the inside..
If that is the case then things are ok.. I will check that out when I get off work tomorrow..
Thanks.............Jim
Old 08-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

You are correct and if your carb has an electric choke you should be fine with the block off gaskets.

The reason for the two tubes to the inside is so the exhaust gas can get to both runners as it is a dual plane manifold.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

Ok.. got home and checked the manifold.. Sixpack was right.. In order for the exhaust gasses to get to the open holes in the air intake they would have to pass thru the EGR valve. Both of the exhaust ports do indeed go to the same hole.. So when I plud the holes where the EGR valve goes I will be left with just a open dead space with two holes in it.

Thank you....... Jim
Old 08-26-2002, 05:25 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I thought they were they holes inside the intakes plenum that we were talking about. Soory about that. Just pop on an EGR valve and don't hook it up. That should do it right? It be a dead/dummy EGR valve sitting there. Or would not hooking it up let it stay open for the exhaust gas to come in?