Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2002, 05:51 PM

Default 5 reasons to replace your motor

5. You drain your oil and 15 qts of water come out before you Oil does

4. You thought more would come out, but then realize you have a 2 inch exit wound on the side of your oil pan

3. You pull the pan and find a piston pin in it.

2. You find 1/2 of a rod and the 16 pieces of the piston in the windage tray, that looked like it took the brunt of a grenade explosion

1. Your camshaft is broken in 3 pieces and one is lodged into the rest of the piston that is still in the cylinder

Well, looks like it is time to replace it with the 451/727 that is in the incomplete drag car. Do you think Hi-po manifolds will really hurt this beast in a 2900 lb car? It looks like that is all that will fit without major surgery (see bigblockdart.com for early history)
Old 08-26-2002, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

Wow, that's really bad news. This isn't your '65 you're talking about is it? Sure hope not.

Hey, about BBdart.com. I looked for your car & couldn't find it. I did see your name on the list of contributors, but had trouble figuring out where you fit in. That's a facinating site, the "move your wheelwells" article is going to be my next project!

How'd the move go?
Old 08-26-2002, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Angry

another good reason is because some heartless bastard dumps a box of baking soda in your cooling system clogging your hoses causing your car to overheat and seize up.... man do i love people.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:29 AM

72, yeah it was...The move went good, now I gotta driveway to work on it! If you look in the archives for a 451 in a A-body, that is my "other" car, a joint project with my friend. Im trying to persuade him to donate his motor to my cause for a cut of the proceeds from the sale. He wants 3k for the motor, that sounds about right. He has 1000 in the heads alone. Im not hacking my wells for those headers though, ill go with Hi-po manifolds like Streetmasters '64 buildup. I saw a pair of Shumacher headers on a 383 that might almost fit.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

Wow, that's really depressing. So sorry to hear it. At least you've got a line on another engine, and a place to work. Hey, you've already got holes in the wells, go for the BB headers!

Looked at the site again, there's 4 Darts with 451s! I guess it's not the one from Denmark, but that still leaves a 69 and two 72s.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

Pootus: The baking soda in the rad is a new one on me and I have seen alot of different things. I used to work at a car auction when I was in High School ( before Reagan was shot ). This place was huge and would have a two day sale and go thru about 4000 vehicles. My job was to drive the vehicles into the auction area and then drive it out again and park it on the lot. I know people would walk around the yard and look at the vehicles and once in a while somebody would pull a coil wire or take a screwdriver or wrench and mess up the distributor, anything to make the vehicle run bad so that when it was barely running in the auction area people would not bid as high on it. One time somebody put diesel fuel in a non-diesel truck so that when it was started it would blow blue like you wouldn't believe. Most vehicles would only have 1/8 of a tank of gas at most and to get diesel into the auction area they must have had alot of people with small containers under there coats. It was obvious that the owner of the truck went ballistic when the truck was driven into the pits and was immediately pulled out and was not for sale. If he had not been there then that truck would have obviously gone cheap and somebody would have been laughing.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

Default I don't condone it but,

I knew a guy in late 60's that wanted a 55 chebby on a local car lot. About 3AM he put several quarts of trans fluid in the gas tank. Went to the lot the next day to talk and had it running while talking. Of course it started smoking. He left and returned late that night and drove a wood wedge between the flywheel and bell housing. Went back the next day to "buy" and it wouldn't start. The car lot owner smelled a rat and refused to sell the car and had it towed to a garage. I found out about it about a month later.
I refused to sell a dog to a guy and he sugared my motor AND gas tank.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

In 1976 I was a mechanic at Banner Tire in St. Louis MO. Across the street was a used car dealer. He always had allot of Perf Cars. A couple of times he would bring over (a 396 Chevelle, camaro) 396 GM's. The oil light would come on at idle. He also brought 5 Quarts of 60 Wt Harley Davison Oil. No more oil light.
Vern.