Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 AM

Help Monster Mopar Weekend

This is my first time going. Does anything take place on Fri? Are there any hot cruizing spots? How far is the track from the Collinsville Hampton INN. Is the Hampton Inn close to the Holiday in host hotel? How many show cars are expected?I know it 's not as bg as the Nats.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Ahh... my favorite subject...

(V)onster (V)opar is one of the greatest all Mopar events in the country. I have been going for the last ten years or so and haven't been let down at all. My Dad and I alternate taking a car down about every other year.

Usually the car show has probably around 400 cars (I'm guessing), and the swap meet covers about a 2X3 block area including the car corral. The swap meet and car show are traditionally held inside the oval of Gateway Raceway.

The drag racing portion is getting larger and larger every year, and this year I think that time trials are on Saturday with eliminations being on Sunday. The track is also open Friday with free (don't hold me to that) test and tuning for Monster Mopar racers. There are all sorts of exhbition cars that race too: King of Street, Wheelstanders, Nostagia and Wedge classes, Top Fuel Nostaliga, and more. I was part of an "exhibition" myself back in 1998: I was driving my Dad's Duster in time trials when I pulled a 10 second Viper that ended up spinning out right in front of me. I locked up the brakes going about 80 and missed T boneing him by about 5 feet!! Read all about it here:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...=monster+mopar

This year will be only the second Friday night that I've ever been there for. Our plans are to catch the CUBS VS. CARDS game on Friday (if they don't strike), and race like hell all weekend long. On second thought, I may not be racing.... my wife wants me to haul down my Dart Sport and put it up for sale. So I may be babysitting my red, white and blue Dart Sport in the Car Corral instead. Anyway, Friday night there should be lots of cruizing up in Collinsville, which is right up the road from the track. It has all sorts of hotels and restaurants to stay at, too (the ones nearest the track were only recently built). On Saturday their is an "all makes" car show at the Dairy Queen in Collinsville, but come early becuase there's very little space for a lot of cars and people. There are other cruizes around the area, but we usually just crash at the hotel and watch NASCAR.

This is a must see event for anyone who lives within 10 yours of St Louis for sure!!

Dartman

PS - Bring a small cooler with lots of water, as well as a small towel to wet and put on your head. It can get very hot at the track and sometimes the concession stands can't keep up.

PS#2 - Let me know what your car looks like and I'll keep an eye out for you...
Old 08-27-2002, 09:33 PM

100% Whoopass

The Dartman said a mouth full if you nver been to Monster Mopar Weekend you will have a blast this will be my 18th year going look me up I have a 1970 S/Pro Dodge Challenger vitamin c orange in color with M.C. Motorsports on the side of the car look forward to seeing everybody again this year

Charlie aka Mopar Chas
Old 08-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

we will be pulling the cuda down for our fouth year. Look us up 69 cuda fastback six pack scoop and all black no decals lettering etc.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:45 AM
Inactive User

Ill be there racing in Pro. 70 Challenger SE sublime with white top. There is a cruise that Saturday evening at Caseyville (all makes I presume) on I-64 and the 157 exit. Also the Mopar cruise is at Chuck-A-Burger, its on the flyer, where ever that is at?