Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-05-1999, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have a 72 charger with a 318 that I would like to swap to a 440. I read somewhere that I would need a different engine mounting cradle. Is this true and would I have to get a cradle from another charger or could I get one from a different car? Will the original automatic trans bolt up to a 440? Will the drive shaft work? Will my small block radiator be too small? Does a big block need a specific distributor? Will the origial suspension support the big block without sagging? This is my first charger. I got a good deal on it with a bad 318--$350 complete with road wheels. I could put another 318 out of a van my buddy has but I dont think I would like it as good as a 440.

Thank you for your input.
Old 12-05-1999, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

The stock K frame will work, you need the engine mounts from a 66-72 big block, the rubber part is the same,a big block 727, different drive shaft, radiator will be too small unless it's an a/c car, torsion bars will be soft for a 440 but the hight can be adjusted if it sags, also the 8-1/4 rear end should be switched to a 8-3/4 (I'm asuming it has an 8-1/4). you'll need all of the pulleys, power steering pump, alternator brackets etc. some wires need lengthening(dist. coil) Its pretty simple if you have all of the right parts. I think thats it.
Old 12-06-1999, 12:51 AM
J.J.

Squad has most of the things right, but to add, if you are making a street car use rubber MM, if you are wanting to do some performance I suggest you get steel mounts, you wont be replacing mounts as often.
I have done several A eng{318}to RB{440} conversions its reletively easy thats the good thing about Chrysler Muscle they were very interchangeable.
the tortion bars need to be stiffend I think 2 complete turns at the adjustment bolt clockwise.
A good place for Hard parts you might need is R&R Salvage in Verona, MO 417-678-5551 ask for john, Also I have A set of the steel motormounts E-Mail me and I will get them to you.
Good Luck
Old 12-06-1999, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Smile

hey deek, i am undergoing the same transformation you are. i have a 1970 satellite with a 318 and i bought a 440 and tranny for it. maybe we can help eachother out. i noticed your email address is from socket. are you from missouri? the reason i ask is because i am too and recognized the name. anyway, everything the others have told you up to this point is correct. if you find anything else look me up and send it to me. my username is 70sat.

good luck
Old 12-08-1999, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

ok deekster, this is too weird. i live in ashland, just south of columbia if you don't know. you may know larry douglas or don collins, who both live in the hallsville/centralia area. anyway, so how about this 79 dodge? is it 4-wheel drive. auto or stick? i assume since you are only asking 1500 it is a rust bucket. tell me more about it though. how are the tires? one other question, are you rebuilding your 440 before you put it in? if so, who is doing it. i need someone to help me with mine. you can email me at collinjm@jaynet.wcmo.edu