Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-08-1999, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hello. My name is Lowell, I m 16 years old,and I live in Phoenix, AZ. A 1968 Barracuda has been sitting in my carport for about twenty years. (My dad stopped driving it a couple years before I was born.) Anyway, now that I am sixteen and can drive, I want to restore it. It has a 318 w/ a 904 automatic transmission. This is what I know needs done on it:
1. Engine Rebuild
2. Transmission Rebuild.
3. New paint, tires, etc.
Here are the questions I have:
1. I have some heads off a 360. How much would it boost the horsepower to put those on the 318?
2. I have a forged crankshaft and rods off a 340. Some of my friends have told me that they will not work in my engine; is this true?
3. Would it be worth the money to switch out the 904 transmission with a 727? (keep in mind that my budget is about $5500 for the whole restoration.)
4. Right now, it has a high-performance aluminum 318 intake manifold. I have the intake off a 340, but it is not aluminum. Which is the better choice?
5. Is electronic ignition for it possible? Would it improve performance or dampen performance?
6. I also have some questions about the vanity of the car:
a) There are severe mineral deposits on all the windows. Is there a way to clean this off?
b) The white vinyl interior is somewhat hard. Is there a way to soften it back up?
c) There is a large crack on top of the dash. Are dash mats available for old muscle cars? Custom? Or should I buy whole dash?

Thank you for reading over my questions. As you can probably tell, I don't know much about restoring old cars; or much about old muscle cars at all! And I realize many of my questions can only be answered in an opinion, but right now, I want to get all the opinions I can before I start. If you can help me with any of the above, I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you again.
Old 12-08-1999, 02:23 PM

Cool

Lowell,

Here's some answers to your questions. First off it's great to see a young man like yourself take an interest in an Old Mopar. By the description of your car it appears you have a good starting point. Now for some answers.

1. You can expect an increase of 30-40 HP by installing the 360 heads on your 318. Of course this will all depend how the rest of the engine is set up (cam, intake, headers, etc...).

2. The current crank in your 318 will work just fine, you can use the 340 rods if you want though. Basically a 340 crank will work in a 318, it's just a little more heavy duty.

3. Keep the 904 trans, it will hold up just fine. It would be a good idea to get it rebuilt since it's been sitting for almost 20 years. Install a good shift kit during the rebuild. A TransGo shift kit is what I'd recommend.

4. I'd use the 340 intake, the Alum. 318 intake would have runners that are to small for the 360 heads.

5. Electronic ignition will improve performance.

6. To remove the mineral deposits try a lime remove such as Lime-A-Way.

7. It's going to be tough getting your interior to soften up, try Nu Vinyl. You AZ sun is murder on interior pieces.

8. For a dash pad, you will more than likely have to find someone that has an old one. Don't believe anyone make a dash cap for your car.

Hope this helps, keep us all updated on the progress of your car.

HV
Old 12-08-1999, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

To get all out of the 360 heads you might consider blending the bowls, backcutting the valves and milling the heads .060" to raise the CR a little. The 904 is the way to go with a 318, a deep oil pan and an extra cooler would help longevity. The 318 crank is a strong enough, the 340 parts are heavier and if used need a rebalance of the crank. What aluminum intake exactly do you have? Most of them are mentioned for 273-360 engines and only have smaller port openings. When port matched to the 360 heads about an inch they work as well or better as the iron manifold. But it works well too, although it's a lot heavier.
Old 12-08-1999, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Lowell, you can get a dash mat or a dash cover from the Paddock. Give them a call at 1-800-428-4319, and ask them to send you one of their Dodge & Plymouth catalogs (they're free). As for the 340 crank and rods, your 318 already has basically the same crank and rods in it. The other guys are right about the 904 trans. It will hold up just fine with a rebuild and a good shift kit in it. As an added bonus, the 904 has less internal drag than a 727 meaning more horsepower gets to the rear wheels! Have fun and enjoy your Barracuda!
Old 12-08-1999, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Personally, I would not use the 360 heads on the 318 unless you are going to do a performance build-up of your engine. The combustion chamber is a lot bigger than the stock heads and will severly drop your compression ratio. You can and should use the 360 valves in the 318 (1.88 I and 1.60 E) as they will help to wake that 318 up. I think the 318 and the 340 engines have a differant balance factor so don't use a 340 crank in a 318 untill you check this out. Call Dennis Maurer at Maurer's Performance in Tempe. He is located just north of University and just east of McClintoc/Hayden. This guy has forgotten more about small block Mopar engines then most of us will ever know. I would not run the 340 intake with the 318 heads. The 340 intake runners are bigger than the 318 runner and the mis-match at the port entry may cause fuel puddling/plug fuel fouling problems. The Edelbrock Performer is a great intake and is designed for the 318. Can't help you on the window deal, I've got glass problems of my own to deal with. Paddock is a good place to deal with, so is Year One. Hit the Glendale Comunity College swap meet once a month and you should come up with some good deals on parts or contact me by e-mail. I have a good friend who has a couple of garages full of Mopar stuff.

Are you, by any chance, in the east valley? The reason I ask is that someone on the cul d'sac behind me in my neighborhood has a pale yellow '68 or '69 'Cuda fastback sitting next to thier garage and I haven't seen it move in a long, long time.

The Old Hippie Hisself
Old 12-09-1999, 02:34 AM

As a suggestion get the Mopar parts catalog look in the back of it has a listing of things to do to make the 318 faster keep the 904 tranny lighter don't get caught up in big cams manifolds carb especially if your going to drive it every day do the simple stuff first get thing running check all the hoses belts work that way you know what you have dont forget brakes and suspension rember time is cheap