Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Ross or KB for a 200 shot of nitrous

Theirs a 200 dollar difference between the two pistons, I plan on running nitrous, but nothing more than 250 which is what the Ross piston is claimed to be suitable up to as a stocked shelfed piston. As far as the KB piston which cost 200 bucks less about claims to have been tested and ran on a 500 no2 system and run fine. If I don't think I'm going to be running anything over a 200 shot, would a KB piston be suitable for me? Or should I invest the extra 200 bucks into the Ross pistons?
Old 08-30-2002, 12:56 PM

I don't think the KB's are forged.... which doesn't matter until you decide to blow a hole in one. Also, the ross piston is probably liter. How experienced are you with N2O?

Later,

Greg
Old 08-30-2002, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

A Hyperutectic is nothing more than an overpriced, fancy, CAST piston. I would not even consider them for a nitrous motor, regardless of how much I was spraying.

Monte Smith
Old 08-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

Even if the KB's have been tested with large nitrous hit the, extra two hundred for a much higher quality piston is worth the piece of mind. Do it right the first time, it would really suck to granade your engine because you wanted to save a little money.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

Howdy,

I read that the hyper-rutectic pistons should not be used with nitrous at all. My nitrous book says cast pistons are OK if you DO THINGS RIGHT.

I hear a lot of crap about "you'll fry your engine with nitrous and cast pistons" but I've been running a 150 hp Sniper system for 3 yrs (on a 318) and have had ZERO problems. They jet the systems so you don't have problems and you if don't overtime, you should be OK. I run timing at 0 initial, 15 total. Don't screw with jetting.

I think in your case you would want forged pistons because of the shot size. I might be marginal, but as I said, no problems to date.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Violent J

I would re read GTX Montes post again...he has used more of this stuff than most everyone on this board added together...so listen to whats hes telling you, lol..
Old 08-31-2002, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Use the Ross pistons!
The KB pistons may be able to handle "some" nitrous, but because the top ring is so high on the piston you would have to run a huge ring gap for when you use the nitrous, but when running without it you may get more blow-by because of the large ring gaps. There is also a higher chance of colapsing the ring land or frying the rings with the KB pistons.

For $200 the Ross piston is stronger and lighter than the KB piston. You may still have to be careful with ring gaps, but I'm pretty sure the Ross pistons have the top ring further down on the piston compared to the KB pistons. Call Ross or Muscle Motors and tell them what you want to do and they can get you the correct ring gap specs.