Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Help Need Timing Help!

Just finished building up a 77 400 BB truck motor.

Trying to fire it up but.....?

I have #1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke. Manual I've been using says to install distributor with vac advance pointing away from you towards drivers side fender and rotor should be pointing to the 4:30 position. #1 plug wire starts at that point and goes counterclockwise on cap.

Is this standing on the passengers side installing the distributor or in front of the radiator and then rotating the vac advance so it is facing the drivers fender??

I've installed it standing on the passengers side dropping it in so the vac advance is facing drivers fender. went to fire it up and it backfires thru headers and gas is being sprayed up from carb.

I'm using a Holley 3310-2 dual feed.

I've tried
Old 08-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

I just bring it up on tdc #1, then put the dist in with the rotor pointing at #1 cyl wire or close enough to rotate the housing to line the rotor with #1. Make sure that you have the wires in the correct positions and order noting dist rotation. You can also put it in without wires or cap on line up the star on the dist with the pickup coil by rotating the dist housing(making sure you have enough room to make timing adjustments.) and then put the rotor on see wich terminal its pointing at and that is number one. Then install the rest of the wires fire it up and set initial. You may have to rotate the housing one way or the other to get it started depending on how close to tdc you really are. 18436572 in a counter clockwise order. Hope this helps
Old 08-31-2002, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Double check the firing order, put timming mark at 10 before TDC and align the dist pickup with the reluctor.
If it still backfires, the distribitor is probbably 180 degrees out and you have to pull the dist and turn the shaft 180 degrees and re-install it.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Inactive User

I determined TDC comp stroke then center timing mark by hand.

Installed dist. w/rotor pointing at #1. Tried firing it up...engine kept turning over as if no spark w/ spray shooting up from carb.

Have plenty of spark at cap. Firing order was triple checked.

I then thought I was 180 out so I removed dist. rotated it 180 reinstalled it. Fired it up... and that's when I got the backfiring thru headers w/spay still shooting up from carb.

Is it possible that I do not have the dist gear drive lined up parrallel w/ cam??

I just totaly rebuilt the holley to specs. I know prob is not carb. New everything!

How do you line up dist gear drive parralel w/centerline on cam?

Excuse my ignorance, novice builder here!..Got to learn sometime!
Old 08-31-2002, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

I think I just determined my screwup!

When installing dist@TDC, rotor must be pointing at the #1 cyl correct?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:24 AM
Inactive User

Yes, tdc number one compression stroke(not exhaust) The rotor needs to be pointing at 1. The dist can only be installed two ways line it up with 1. If it wont line up with one you must move the #1 wire to the terminal you can line it up with, and then reinstall all the other wires in corect order counter clockwise from #1. Dont worry if you installed the dist gear off, it will just change the #1 position on the cap.