Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

Default 360 headers 75 duster?

well we just put the engine in the motor mounts.. its sitting there.. and well.. what now? hwo do we get the stinking headers on???? THEY DO NOT FIT any suggestions? we got flow master headers. do we have to lift the engine slightly? thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

I took a set off my 76 360 Duster. Not fun unbolt the front motoer mounts lift the engine as much as possible then try and tilt it to the side to put them in. Not a fun job in my books. Mine was a bit easy ebcause my tranny mount was so worn I could tilt the engine quite a bit.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:45 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

My 73 duster with a 360 and 727 auto was a pain! Yes simply remove the tranny mount bolt and loosen the engine bolts jack it up as much as possiable untill the tranny hits the floor pan! Remove the starter if installed and put them through the bottom of the car which means you need tall jack stands! Also my car is a manual steering and manual brakes which makes a little differance in easyness! You may need a buddy to help ya out and rock the engine to make the headers go in!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy bad news

I hate to tell you, but the only way to get headers in your a body, is to raise the engine out of the car about 18in or better. the pass side you can bolt on once the engine is airborne. the drv side you will have to feed in (unbolted) with the engine lowering back to home. That was the only way they would go in my M body (5th Ave). A bodys are set up pretty much the same in the engine compartment.
I wish I had better news for ya bud, but experience talking here.
Good luck! keep us posted! if you find a better way, please share it with us we all could use help on this subject.
5th
Old 09-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

You undid the steering centerlink from the driver's side first, right? The link passes through the header on the driver's side. The header also captures the starter, so you will need to have that unbolted and bolt it back up when you get the header in position. You will have to unbolt the mounts and raise the engine a fair bit to get them in, and take the oil filter off the passenger side too. Once theyare close to position, lower the engine back down and start a couple of bolts in the headers. Now wipe the sweat out of your eyes and have a cool beverage. It gets easier from here on in.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:53 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Yes the steering linkage runs through the driver side header on my car! There should have been some info on istallation notes that come with your header!
Old 09-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Inactive User

Default A-Body headers install

Another note of caution, watch the distributor cap when raising the motor off the mounts. It can come in contact with the firewall, and associated wiring. You may want to just pull the distributor out noting which direction the rotor is pointing for when you are ready to reinstall.

It has been my experience that you can install the headers without completely removing the motor, just lift it out of the mounts about 3" on either side. Rocking the motor slightly will help, along with judicious amounts of cussing, screaming, and threatening the headers with dismemberment.

You will need to remove the oil filter, center link, and starter as others have said. While you have the center link out, it would be a good time to replace those worn tie rod ends. If you can afford it, it's cheap insurance. Installing headers on an A Body can be a daunting task, but with some perserverance, it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe 6 hours? Probably more if its your first time.
Speaking from experience.

Bruce