Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Sixpack IDLE??????

Hey Guy's im stumped i just started up my 440 Sixpack last week and i can't get the thing to idle down for the life of me! the idle set screw i backed all the way out and i have set the float's and played with the Idle Adj. screws and they did'nt do a damned thing if i push forward on the linkage it will lower the idle but at the resting position it sound's like it's open half throttle the outboards are set so they are off the choke works great but what's the deal?? anybody have any answers for me thanks for any hint's guy's im about ready to pull it off and put the 4bbl back on!?
Old 09-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Idea

Here is a good tech article on how to tune it.
http://freiss.tripod.com/
Click on T/A article and then Six Pak Carb Tips
Print them out so you can read them. Lots of useful info!!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

somthing is outta wack. your getting to much air. were these carbs new or old ones? you could have damage to the throttle body plates possible cracks. pull that center carb and inspect the body. also make sure you have good gaskets.arn't working on six packs fun!!!???
Old 09-05-2002, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

I just Rebuilt them last month and closely inspected them for any cracks before reassembly, I used new base gaskets and ran all new Vacuum line?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

Classic symptom of a bad vacuum leak.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Check your throttle linkage rods and rod swivels between the center and outboard carburetors. These rods should be adjusted such that they are barely loose with the center carb throttle plate closed.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Inactive User

Check the base gasket for the center carb.

It requires a gasket with more material between the front bolt flanges. Most 2300's need the same gasket as the end carbs. Center carb is unique because of the PCV feed is in the front. Wrong gasket will allow a huge vacuum leak and cause the engine to run lean and fast.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Agree with 72Challenger -- sounds like a a vacum leak somewhere? pd
Old 09-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

How do i go about finding out which gasket is right? anybody got any pics the Rebuild kit's had 2 different base gaskets, One would'nt match up to the throttle base and the other did perfectly? Does anyone have or know where i can get a Vacuum diagram for a 440 6Pack? And one other Question i had i was told that if the Camshaft is Larger than stock it can also mess the actual Idle setting of the Carburetor up by not getting enough Vacuum? As far as me asking about the Vacuum diagram I had no Vacuum lines when i bought the setup just carb's and intake and linkage i went off Pictures in magazines of how it was run, There is one Vaccum port on the outboard's and
two smaller ports on the side of the Center carb i have the outboards linked with the center one going to the TOP vacuum port and the BOTTOM port going to the Vacuum Advance on the Distributor and of course there is the PCV port on the bottom of the center carb. Does this sound right? Like i said i just looked at pictures of 440 6pack car's and hooked it up accordingly since i did'nt have any hoses to go off of. I really need some help on this guy's Thank you for all your replies!
Old 09-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Inactive User

I've used a propane torch with some success. Turn the gas on, unlit of coarse, and direct it around each gasget. If there's a leak there will be an obvious change in the idle.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by lenweiler
I've used a propane torch with some success. Turn the gas on, unlit of coarse, and direct it around each gasget. If there's a leak there will be an obvious change in the idle.
....meanwhile your engine compartment fills with propane and somebody unaware walks up with a cigarette in his mouth....BOOM!

-OR-

....meanwhile your garage fills with propane and someone strikes a striker or lighter or unplugs a running fan and produces a spark...BOOM!

-OR-

....meanwhile you get high off the fumes, doze off and land in the fan....SPLAT!!

heh, no thanx, i'll stick to a water bottle, or eather...i don't think propane would be any safer than starter fluid or eather... doesn't sound like a good idea to me...but thats just me...
Old 09-08-2002, 05:18 AM

a spray bottle of soapy water has always worked great for me.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Pink, it sounds like you may have the vacuum plumbing on your center carb set up backwords. The top port that comes out of the fuel block on the center carb should go to the vacuum advance for the distributor. The port that is just undeneath this one but on the center carb body should go to both of the similar carb body ports on the outboard carbs. You may be sending a false vacuum signal to the outboard carbs and pulling them open a little at idle.

As for the diaphrams for the outboard carbs, try yearone.com (http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=1). About $20 each. You may be able to get them cheaper if you go down to your local auto parts supplier with the list number for the outboard carbs (stamped on air horn) and have them order them from Holley.