Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Cleaning oil passages in 360?

My bro is gettin ready to put back together his 360 and noticed a chunk of junk in the oil hole goin to the lifter. Probably got knocked lose while getting hot tanked.

Whats the best way to clean out all the oil passages and make sure they are clear?

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

I would say air unless you can hot tank it again, but apparently the hot tank job didn't do it's job!!

Old 09-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

I use a good set of brushes, hot water, soap, and blow dry. Then clean it again. Can't be too clean. Lite lube after washing and drying. Then on to the assembly stage.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:25 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

After any machine work it is reccomended to clean it down with soa[ and water Even though it looks clean it may have some shavings in it. I always stop buy the local car wash after I pick it up on the way home! Soap it with high pressure soap them rinse it down good. Dont forget the oil passages too. Just make sure you have a few cans of penitrating oul to soak it down with. Because with fresh machining it wont take long to surface rust. Probably start before you get it home!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

In my humble opinion, there is only one way to properly clean oil passages-Buy a gun cleaning kit. Use a .30 caliber brush for the main to oil galley passages, a .22 brush for the oil passages to the heads, a 20 gauge shotgun brush for the main oil galley, the left side galley and a 410 shotgun brush for the rear galley to and from the oil filter boss. While cleaning, apply liberal amounts of "Gunk". When that is completed, pressure wash all passages.

If you haven't enlarged the main bearing passages, use a .22 or better yet a .25 caliber brush.

Brushes are the only way to clean!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Sanborn
Although you are much older than me!!!, we went to the same school. I like to use gun cleaning rods and brushes also. I remove all the plugs, even the one under the oil sending unit, then scrub away and use lots of cleaning agents. I have 200 feet of black water hose that I allow the sun to heat up for a hot water rinse.

Billy
Old 09-05-2002, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Billy, you have been looking at those pictures DYNO 360 took of me at the races. That must be the only way you know I'm old .

But seriously, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness". Old saying but very true! You and I don't have a problem getting gun cleaning supplies, but some of the guys(in some states) would probably have to register their gun cleaning kits!

May I digress somewhat-Back in the late 70's I spent many weeks(and months) in your fair city starting up textile plants in Del Rio, Acuna, Piegres Negress(Spelling?), etc. There used to be a topless beer joint somewhere northwest of Del Rio. Don't remember the name, but the streets weren't paved and still had "hitching posts" in front of the bar. There was a gun shop in the town and I remember it had a WWII anti-tank gun in the store front window. Doesn't have anything to do with Mopars but I still remember it like yesterday.