Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

Help Pumpkin pics and Axle lengths?

Does anyone know where these are posted. I thought my Diplomat had a 8 3/4 but after a quick peek I'm not so sure. I am building a car that is required to use the GM G-Body frame and suspension to include the 7.5 rear. I plan on upgrading the axles due to the common problem I see with the GM's breaking and sending wheels flying in search of an impale victim. I think I have found an easy solution, use the 30 spline mopar axle and housing ends deleting the c-clips. Any thoughts or idea's are welcome. Shucks I don't have a clue how long the 7.5 axle is and need to find the same or similiar Mopar axle to fix this suicidal design.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Pumkins

Visual inspection is easy. The 8 3/4 rear has a removable center section and the axle when viewed from the rear bumper is smooth and round. The "c-clip" designed rear, usually the 8 1/4" model, has a rear cover secured by hex head bolts that is visable when you view it from the rear bumper. You are right the "c-clips hold the axles in as long as they don't break. Circle track racing puts severe demands on rear axles, as your car is constantly loosing traction and gaining traction, particularly on rough dirt tracks. It is routine to see the chebbies lose wheels during a race. GM rear axles, both 12 bolt and 10 bolt are "c-clip" style, but aftermarket conversion kits are available to change them to a retaining bearing style axle, but they are costly. Also for best results, aftermarket axles are also recommended.
If you can find an 8 3/4 axle easily, you might like to go in that direction.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Dyno360 for your reply. So what your saying is the rear view of the 8.75 looks like a ford 8". Ok, I'll check the yards. But first I need to find out axle lengths. Like many Circle track racers I can only race on a strict budget. I need to find as cheap a way as possible to fix this problem. I prefer using OEM parts whenever I can. I know about the c-clip eliminator kits, but I feel this is a much better way to go. I will be going from the cheesy 26 spline axle up to the stronger 30 spline. This should be plenty strong for the tires and power of engines in this class. I searched for hours and found nothing. Has anyone seen axle lenghts of different housings posted anywhere?