Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Cool Rings--standard or moly?

Hey all, give me your opinions. Should I use standard, cast iron rings or moly rings?

This is a 400 in a Ramcharger. Mild build, 8:1, Hughes 9014 cam, daily driver, lots of highway cruising.

I really don't understand the different qualities between the two, so, help me out.

Thanks.........MoJoe
Old 09-06-2002, 12:56 AM

MoJoe...

I personally prefer the moly rings. I've never had any problems with using them. I believe in spending a little more up front instead of doing things a second time.

No matter which type you choose...make sure and let your machine shop know the type you picked. They will need to use the proper hone so the rings will seat, and live.

If you are planning on just throwing in a set of rings without machine work (NOT something I would recommend) go with the stock type cast rings...and pray they work.

Good luck,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 09-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

Go with the moly rings. They break in faster and I have never had a problem with them.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:37 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

MOLY. They break in quickly, seal good, and are easy on the cylinder bores.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:07 PM
performance engines

Default rings

MOLY, although I disagree about the breakin, most times takes a little longer, but makes abetter, longer lasting seal, is the moly is very slick, make sure you have the block honed for moly's, takes a different, finer grit stone, then if the shop is equipped( like me) have them final hone it with cork.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hey, thanks ya'll! And the winner is.........Molys.

biggerhammer, what kind of grit do they like? And do they get the standard cross-hatch pattern? Would a ball hone be O.K.?
Old 09-07-2002, 07:00 AM
performance engines

Default grit

the grit should be 280 or better, I usually hone to within .0005 with 280, then finish with 400, then a few strokes with cork, the ball hone is really just for glaze breaking, so no, I wouldn't want to use it as a finish hone
Old 09-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Moly ring ....Wald?

Moly rings are more common now that standard cast rings on a rebuild. They are just a bit more than the stock type rings and they have a much longer life. Ma MoPar used them in their 360 police motors because of the abuse they would see. Ma is never wrong. As for break-in in my experance they usually take LONGER than standard rings. Yep, the moly coating is slick and it takes a bit longer for them to 'find their groove' If your machinist doesn't know the proper way to do a cylinder hone for molys then hit him in the head and run! He should be a machinist.