Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

Default anyone built their own crankscraper for mopar bb?

Hi I'm interested in improving my 383's oiling system.Got all the normal improvements,deeper pan,M.P. windage tray,H.vol. pump,hardened pump drive shaft and gear,1/2 inch dia. pickup tube,reworked oil passages etc.Looking for that added extra help. a crank scraper looks like a good addition. Anyone made their own? What did you make it out of? How close did you come to crank.Know it has to be close to scrape oil off crank but how close is that? Did it work good with the M.P. windage tray? ny help you can give me would be helpfull. Thanks Tim
Old 09-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Inactive User

Since you already have a windage tray, I don't think the scraper would make a significant improvement.

How tight do you twist your engine?
Old 09-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Crank scraper info

Grab the Dec 2002 issue of Mopar Action they have a great article on page 38 about oil control for street/strip Mopars.
This is quoted from the above mentioned magazine
"There is one more zero-buck idea it's called a crank scraper. If you have lots of time on your hands, just take a scrap piece of sheet steel and cut it to between the passenger side of the oil pan and the block, with the holes drilledjust a hair larger than the pan bolts, then cut and trim so it's a tight fit around the counter-weights. The closer the fit the better it works, but you don't want it to actually scrape the crank, metal chips are a bad thing. And remember to pry the crank to and fro to check clearences as the crank hits both sides of the thrust bearing. Many find it easier to make a poster board mockup and use that as a template. But getting the clearances small (try for 0.020"-.030") without interference is a tedious and laborious project, and, owing to casting/forging differences, stroker cranks, etc., no commercially viable (so they will fit with no mods), the clearences must be so large that effectiveness is diminished. Also, due to the pan rail location on small blocks (at the crank centerline), scrapers may work better on them than on big blocks and Hemis.

Hope this helps
Chuck
Old 09-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up oil scraper

Hey Tim
Look around.
Someone sells them, I recall haveing seen an advertisment for them.
The thing is I don`t recall who.
The scraper Is a Good idea even with the windage tray.
The windage tray helps control splashing oil from the pan.
But it does nothing to clean the crank of oil comeing from the
top of the engine.
You should not expect maijor power gains from this part.
Howerver all the small gains add up in the end.
some times you need that little bit.
Hope it helps
Dan
Old 09-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

I like to build crank scrapers out of .024" stainless steel. It seems to hold up better with less fatigue cracks. On the Big Block, I made it flat and sandwiched it between the pan and block. Start with a cardboard template, make a rough scraper out of .030" aluminum and when everything fits right, make the final version out of stainless. Get the clearances very tight-around .020". It works and works well. I built a scraper for a friend and he said it made about .050 second difference in the 1/8 mile. How much does .05 seconds cost?