Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Default adj. rockers...

Anyone know how to set the adj. rockers on a 74 slant six? I had the head off today, but can't get them adjusted correctly.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Valve Adjustment

To get in the "ballpark", rotate the engine and check to be sure you can get a .010 feeler gauge into the intake "lash" and a .020 into the exhaust.

I do the final dajustment while the engine is running.
The engine must be hot.

When the valve cover is off, I recheck the torque on the head bolts, if they don't "crack loose" / move by 80 ft.lbs, go to the next, follow the "center-outward" sequence. Also check to see if all the rocker arms are oiling out the center and tip holes. If not, now is the time to change them.

I do my adjustment with the engine running, so turn the idle down as low as possible and put some cardboard under the car. (if you want your floor to stay clean!)

Start with the intakes, stock cams adjust at .010, watch for the TWO INTAKES side by side in the center of the row (Cylinders 3&4) use the manifold runners to guide you.

Come back around for the exhaust valves, they should be plenty hot by now,(remember, the engine is running and you are "feeling" the clearance between the "hits", if unsure, stop the engine for a moment and recheck to help establish your "feel"

The exhaust is set at .020 but shoot for looser to start. (.021 - .022) Find a setting where the idle is smooth but the lifters are mostly quite, yes "mostly" quite, they should make a small bit of ticking noise when correct. When you have things set right, each cylinder should "miss" slightly when you insert the "feeler gauge", this "hangs" the valve open, causing the minor miss.

If you want to try to "sneek-into" a minor bit of performance increase, try setting the intake valves a bit tighter, .008 instead of the .010
If the engine starts running rougher at idle, Go Back To .010, if the idle stays smooth,....how about @ .007? This puts a bit more duration on the intake valve event, this also works in "consept" with the exhaust but there is way more risk of a "choppy idle" and burned exhaust valves, so .020, may-be .019 (HOT) is about as tight as I would go. Bottomline, these lash settings have some "leeway", a little tighter or looser is OK, as long as a smooth idle is maintained.

That's it, Button it up and go for a test drive.
DD