Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-10-2002, 02:41 PM

Default Crate Motor

I have been pondering an engine swap and have been researching the 360 MPI Crate Motor from Mopar Performance. In light of the horror stories about some of these engines, I called and asked a few questions. First of all, the Horsepower rating is only 260. The Tech told me that it is a standard 360 with an MI Manifold and a cam set. He also allowed that these are assembled by outside shops. I asked about reliability, fits, tolerances, etc and he advised a complete teardown, inspection, re-fit and re-assembly. He has heard about wrong size bearings, missing rings, missing or broken bolts, loose bolts and whatever. Needless to say, I was shocked to hear this, since these engines bear a Mopar part # and carry their logo. The fact that the warranty is only 90 days from purchase doesn't leave me with a warm feeling. However, I am really curious to know if anybody has bought one of these engines and what their first hand experience has been.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 PM

Do a search on crate engines. You will find that they are just thrown together with no regard to proper procedures. If you go this route, follow his recommendation and tear the engine down and put it back together, while verifying ALL tolerances and torque settings.

Too many people have had the bottom end come apart, because of sloppy build up.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

my second crate motor was good, but I had to bitch and moan to get them to replace the first one,

they did not want to warrantee it unless it had been installed by a mopar shop!

I advised them right quick how many more they would sell after this board got wind.

bottom line...it can be a great motor, mine is a blast, but it can also be a dud.

but, you're putting this in as a street mpi replacement, and I don't know of any "builders" who do that.

they would have to provide the controller and programming for you to get the most out of it.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Dick,
All Mopar crate engines regardless of size are now assembled by Cummins in Canada for Mopar Performance. All the engines used to be produced by other sources and yes they had lots of problems. Now that Cummins is doing all the assembly I am almost sure you would have no problems. Cummins has been assembling engines for alot of manufacturers for a long time and has a very good reputation. I would definately seek more advice before deciding against one completely.
Just my .02
Old 09-11-2002, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

I bought a 360 crate motor(shortblock) from a Dodge dealer and let me just tell you that I wasn't real kind to it(saw 6000rpm+ on occassion). Never any real problems with it except when they pulled it apart to be punched out to a stroker. The only thing was that the oiling system wasn't quite up to snuff and I had some premature wear in the rod bearings. I was detonating from a bad PCM, and my lead foot, but for a motor that I ran some good rpm with it did me good. Under normal conditions it will be fine. I would certainly buy another. That's my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BelvedereGuy
Dick,
All Mopar crate engines regardless of size are now assembled by Cummins in Canada for Mopar Performance. All the engines used to be produced by other sources and yes they had lots of problems. Now that Cummins is doing all the assembly I am almost sure you would have no problems. Cummins has been assembling engines for alot of manufacturers for a long time and has a very good reputation. I would definately seek more advice before deciding against one completely.
Just my .02
Mr. Belvedere Guy, That is great news. However, how does one know if his new crate motor did indeed come from Cummins/Canada? What about the inventory left around the country? Do you think a Canadian crate could be special ordered through a dealer? Thanks for your post.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

I would not know how you could gaurentee that you for sure would end up with a Cummins assembled crate engine and I am sure that it is not a special order item. I would think that most or all the engines built by other suppliers have long since been bought up by the public. Cummins has been building these for a long time now. I would bet that if you ordered one now it would most definately have been built by Cummins. Once you order and recieve one the easy way to tell if it was built in Canada is to look at the stickers on the crate and the part number sticker will say Made in Canada on it and as well there will be a yellow sticker on the engine(mine is just above the pan rail) that contains the part number, it tells you Cummins assembled it in Canada and a 1-800 number for contacting in case you do have problems with it.
I am attaching a picture of the parts sticker.
(I only blocked out my engine serial number)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hemi parts tag.jpg (60.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

Are you absolutely sure that all MP crates engines are built by Cummins??

I had heard that only the Hemi and 500 inch 440s were built by them, and then only the complete engines, not the shortblocks.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

I used the 1-800 number on the side of my block to call about some concerns I had. I got a fellow from Cummins who was both very nice and very helpful. We talked for quite some time and he told me that they are indeed assembling ALL the engines for Chrysler as well as a few other manufacturers. At this plant that is all they do all day and night long is assemble engines. I am just telling you what was told to me.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:19 PM

I guess the best question for someone at Chrysler would be how long have they been building ALL the engines and how many old style are still in stock anywhere.. I've heard of problems since last year.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

My "Shortblock" was done in Alabama. Piston deck heights vary on the drivers side from .010-.012. Pass. side is zero deck arcoss the board.
A cryin shame.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

So, it appears that what I heard was correct. It's possible that the person you spoke to actually thought that they were the only ones doing it.

I guess that gives the negative comments about MOPAR crate engines some validity.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

rumblefish,
When was your engine produced and when did you purchase it? I got paper work with my engine telling me the exact day it was built you should have some with yours.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:35 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Produced. I don't know. The side of the block info is all I can give on that.
I purchased it last summer. I have the recipt, I think. It should be in the pile.

Thru a rod tonight I think. I'll letcha know in a few days. Other important things in front of me to do.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:31 AM
Inactive User

rumblefish,
Well it doesn't really matter to me actually but I am curious as to when your engine was produced. I am not a pro as to what Chrysler decides to do in life I am only telling what I was told. I hope like hell that you never threw that rod. Please let us know how how it all worked out.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:42 AM
Inactive User

What a bitch!!! I'm really sorry.

If the engine is blown, are you gonna replace it with another MOPAR crate engine??
Old 09-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Banned

Hi Langley...This crate motor stuff is very interesting!....Was your Belvedere at the Mopar Madness at Quantlin(SP)... college in July?....Dark Blue??