Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Question Glasspacks

I am putting a 68 340 in a 63 dart. It has 11:1 comp, X heads (2.02 valves) and a powermax magnum camshaft. I am running an rpm air-gap intake and an eddy 750. I am forced to runn tti headers b/c they are the only company that makes headers for my car/ engine, I think? If you know anything else that will work I would appreciate it. After the headers i want to run Purple hornies glasspack mufflers. I want to dump the exhaust outlet in front of the rear wheels. Will I get the back pressure neccessary to use this car as a daily driver and not blow the seals?
Old 09-10-2002, 08:48 PM

You say that like TTI headers aren't that great, when they are actually a very superior header.

If I were you, I would run the TTI 3" exhaust system (with the Dynomax Super Turbos). Glasspack are all about sound and produce too much turbulance to be a good power builder.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Default back pressure

It sounds like a pretty good set up.
Plenty of carb;a good intake and a good set of headers
to pump out the spent fuel.
All is well to this point.
You may or may not be awear that the glass pack is
a very poor flow rated muffler.
Years ago (as in many) the glass packs were the way
to go for the rumble and a little extra performance.
But muffler technolagy has really come to the front
in the last ten years.
Now day`s you can get the same sound with better
performance to go with it.
To answer your ? you will not have any seal problems.
You will have more then enough back pressure.
Hope it helps
Dirty Dan
Old 09-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

i love my glasspacks, have 18in, they sound real good, there pretty cheap, but if u want power the glasspacks wont do much there, from what people say,

i dont know what ehostler talkin about them produce'n turbulance? they work fine for me
Old 09-10-2002, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Default back pressure

It sounds like a pretty good set up.
Plenty of carb;a good intake and a good set of headers
to pump out the spent fuel.
All is well to this point.
You may or may not be awear that the glass pack is
a very poor flow rated muffler.
Years ago (as in many) the glass packs were the way
to go for the rumble and a little extra performance.
But muffler technolagy has really come to the front
in the last ten years.
Now day`s you can get the same sound with better
performance to go with it.
To answer your ? you will not have any seal problems.
You will have more then enough back pressure.
Hope it helps
Dirty Dan
Old 09-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

5th_Ave_Sleeper told me he HAD a set of those turbo mufflers (don't know what brand), but he switched to glasspacks...he said he's got a lot more power, and a better sound!

i love my glasspacks, with my cam, it sounds awesome! it's a Comp Cams Magnum Cam 282/.495 (282S grind). other than valvetrain noise from other problems i'm not gonna get into, the motor sounds kinda like my brothers 440, which also has glasspacks! he's got more power than a set of $350 mufflers! plus a nice rumble...

IMHO: if you want a great sound, and great performance out of your 340, go with glasspacks, but get short ones ....they sound even better... i've got 18" packs on mine, and we put 14" packs on my brothers 440...it sounds really good. can't wait till mine rust out though (been on the car for about 10 years), cause when they do, we're gettin short ones if we don't just strait pipe it..

good luck!
Old 09-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Glasspacks are very old technology. A good set of turbo mufflers, notice I said GOOD will flow better, and in my opinion anyway, sound way better. The turbos are old technology as well though. Flowmasters, Hooker Aero Chambers and Borlas (a very well scienced out muffler that happens to use fibreglass packing) will produce more power, and again in my opinion sound 500 times better than the glasspacks.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Question Turbos?

This is a subject I mentioned before. I feel the turbos sound Ratty.
I ask about mufflers that sounded better, (this was someone else's thread). I like glasspacks when they are new and the stock Hemi mufflers ( I still remember the sounds of the old 383's, 440's and Hemi's from the factory). Turbos sound like tin cans to me, BUT I know they do produce good power.

This is not an attack on anyone or their cars. This is just My feelings.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

63DartDude - It sounds like you're more after performance gains rather than how your exhaust will sound. Since you're running a 11:1 340, that means high revs around 5500 RPM. Mufflers such as glasspacks or turbos will be quite restricting because of their internal fiberglass design.

For overall sound and performance, i would recommend a pair of Flowmaster deltaflow 3 chamber mufflers or Hooker AeroChamber mufflers. These will still let you know you are pushing some hp through your exhaust, but wont drone inside the cockpit.

On my 9:1 400cid Charger, i'm running a 750 holley vac sec, similar .509" cam, low buck 1 3/4" primary 3" collector, full 2.5" piping with H pipe, and non delta flow 2 chamber Flowmasters. It drones like no other inside, and doesnt let me get anywhere stealthly.

Come to think of it, i may use glasspack bullet mufflers (8" long) to tune my exhaust.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

Yeah your thinking backwards. You have some of the BEST headers made, and are going to put some of the WORST mufflers made on your car. Go with some good chambered mufflers and get a nice throaty sound instead of that tinny, raspy glasspack noise. Just my opinion. Leave the glasspacks to the guys with 57' Chevys and 1-3/4" dual exhaust.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Inactive User

my opnion, glasspacks are nothing but reversed fart pipes! old technology! go with a good set of turbos or 3 chamber flowmasters. excellent headers! got a pair on my challenger t/a.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down glasspacks

I hate my glasspacks, they are too blatty. I wish I could run open pipe all the way back.
Has anyone tried those header inserts?
5th
Old 09-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

My cousin tried those inserts on his T-bucket. Didn't make much of a difference, of course they were the only thing between the headers and the tailpipes. would probably work better along with some sort of muffler.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

6pakman is right. The slow cruise night crowd is still in love with the glasspack muffler. I like street rods, and in fact I have one, but I don't fit in with these guys. Let the exhuast breathe people, let it breathe.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

the man asked a question. Yes you will have enough back pressure. just make sure that you put a good chunk of pipe after the packs so you can get a good wrap on the engine.

too all you other jackasses out there, yes there isn't nothing quite like the infamous dull, echoing tin can sound of a flowmaster. The deal with glasspacks is the changing sound that can not be recreated with chambers and baffles. The cherry bomb GPs on my truck are the closest I have been able to get haveing it straight piped. I like to put it in first and run it up to 40-45 mph in neighborhoods and let off. Man that really pisses people off. I dont recomend you do this with most cars or trucks though. this 318 must be pullin some god awful rpms. wish I had a tach.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

If you require backpressure, you need to do some tuning. As for being a Jackass, I suppose I am to some, but running up to 45 mph in first in someones neighbourhood and letting off surely qualifies you as a Jackass of the first degree. If you enjoy pissing people off, you may need to grow up a little, and save the pissing off for the kids in the Hondas, not someone in their own home trying to have some relaxation. Sure hope you don't stretch the rod bolts and throw some steel through the block, it would be waste of a good 318.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:46 PM

moparman318 - It is one thing to express your opinion. It is another thing, when you feel that you must become disrespectful and use name calling to get your point across.

This type of behavior is not acceptable here. Continuing such behavior will result in being banned from the board.

- Mod
Old 09-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

Sorry I stooped to the level of his hostile remarks ehostler. I will refrain from dignifying such behaviour in future.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Post Remember who you represent!

Moparman318, Being a U.S. Marine you should take a little more pride in yourself and have more respect for others. Did you sleep through that part of boot camp that taught honor and respect? Remember who and what you represent. 45-50mph through a neiborhood just to piss people off? Marines DO NOT ACT THIS WAY!
You feel the need to call everyone else a jackass? This is certainlty unbecoming of the title you hold.
Do us all a favor, take your shitty attitude to Iraq and take it out on Hussien.
I'm sure everyone here is very gratefull for your (and my prior) sevice to this great nation of ours. but do not think for a minuet that you are better than enyone else because you hold the title of U.S. Marine.
I'm getting off my soap box now
5th Ave Sleeper
Jim Priest USMC 1989-1993
Old 09-12-2002, 01:37 AM
Inactive User

ok first off the term jackasses was used to represent anger towards those who think that glasspacks are worthless. did I imply that you were jackasses? no. it is just a word I I were to say to you "and to all you other stupids out there" you would still be laughing at me because I could use a better word. no moparphite could be a jackass. some of us can be stupid at times and thus earn the title. number 2 I don't have a tach and if I did I probably would be to scared to take my truck up that high in first. Given the truck does have 3.21 gears and a 318 with a 727 auto, if you can figure out the actual rpm using the formula

RPM=mph x gear ratio x 336
tire diameter
my rpm turns out to be a touch under 4 grand keep in mind that I am running 31 10.5's. this is why I need a tach because it screams when I do this and I know I am running more rpm than that.
and finnally C: I am looking forward to that point in time 5th. Right now I am scheduled to hit boot camp on Oct 7th. But this is likely to change this weekend when I return to MEPS to change from a reservist to active duty.
Ohh and my book says that a 727 has a 2.45 first.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:49 AM
Inactive User

Default Glasspack defeneder

i love the sound of glasspacks,. I am happy to know that i will have enough backpressure. My question is which glasspacks and length do you recommend for letting my engine exhale easily?
Thanks for all the advice.
Chris
Old 09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

moparman318, i can,t make sense out of any of those two post's.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

Well there's another soul lost to the dark side, oh well we tried.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

well, keep in mind shorter ones are louder, so they PROBABLY have less backpressure, but i'm not too sure. whatever you want, and can find... me personally, i would go with sumthin around 12"-18", but i wouldn't go any longer...

have fun!! i too love my glasspacks (which are the longer ones, not sure of size) on my 340!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

Default exhaust sound

it really depends on your age group . glass packs are for the younger crowd to make noise with. i had them on my 69 gtx until i made a 469 hp engine. i then grew up (after receiving my bill ) and decided that that type of car needed a deep muscle car sound. so i highly reccomend 40 series flowmaster.they have a deep rumble at idle, not to loud while nice driving, but when you give it sounds like all hell has broken loose from a rank mopar musclecar.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Inactive User

''Mach Manny'' you have a similar buildup as mine i was wondering how my car would sound with 3 in 2 chambers and have u ever taken your car down the 1/4.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

I like glaspaks, and the longer the better. I believe that all these trick mufflers on the market are mostly all talk and no action.

I think they have been very well marketed, and if there are any horsepower gains over glaspaks (used to be called "smittys"), they are not cost effective on a horsepower per dollar basis. The money would be better spent on some useful upgrade.

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:48 PM

Here is an Idea for both sides of this debate:

How about the DynoMax Bullet race muffler. I think it's a glass pack, and it flows great! Also, it's not that pricey (about $35).

Too-shay <--probably spelled that wrong...

Later,

Greg
Old 09-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

i really dont see y glasspacks would not up ur hp's like other mufflers, they are about as unrestrictive as u can get, if u look through one u can see straight to the other side, o and my pipes arent no little 1-3/4 like the old trucks with glasspacks(someone referred to), there 2-1/4 not exactly anything to brag about, 2-3/4 all the way or 3in would be

and shorter=louder=cheaper
L o n g e r =Quiter=cost more:P

Hey do Larger tips say like 3 inch and 8 or 12inch long make any difference in sound??
Old 09-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

well, i don't know about the tips, but i do know if you dump the exhaust right after the packs, w/out any pipes after that, it'll be MUCH louder! more of a ROAR really... only bad thing about that, is the sound pretty much goes into the cockpit...

good luck!