Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Help Help!

I just replaced my cap, rotor and plug wires, but I accidentally replaced the wires in the WRONG ORDER!!! I know I am an idiot, but that's why you guys are so great. DHUGHES helped me before with a fix.

If anyone can tell me the firing order for a 170ci slant 6 and how to rearrange the wires after finding this out I would give them a great big hug, if they live within 20 miles from me.

By the way my best friend just got a 1970 valiant 318 with 79000 original miles from his grandma for free!!! the JERK!!!!! I paid $800 bucks for my 64 170. with 215,000 mi. when I bought it.
Can you believe that he was too chicken to drive it from Oakland CA to Los Angeles? We ended up taking MY rusty car with 3x the mileage there.
WHICH IS WHY I NEEDED THE TUNE UP THAT I BOTCHED!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Big Tuna

Idea

Pull the #1 plug put you finger on the plug hole. Turn the motor over until you feel the compression blow against your finger and then roll the motor over until the timing marks line up at "0". Take the cap off and the rotor should be pointing at #1. Put the #1 wire in the cap at that position and continue on around the cap with #5,#3,#6,#2 and#4. If I remeber right, you need to be going clockwise around the cap. If you have the cap off when you are finding #1 you will see the proper direction.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Not to be a smart a**, but a suggestion is to run down to the parts store and buy a Haynes manual. I have one for my Valiant for years 1967 thru 1976. Page 66 has a picture of the plug wires and distributor cap and the correct placement of each. Hope this helps a little. You can never have too much reference material when it comes to old cars!
Later,
Dave
Old 09-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Oh yeah, dschumers is right on with his info.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

Sounds good!

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!! That rings familiar. I hope I can turn the engine over with one hand, it takes a bit of muscle.

My car is a 64, the engines are exactly the same as the 67 like yours, but there are many things different. The Repair manual is out of print for the 60-66 A- bodies. I've looked Everywhere. Also I have only seen one 67-76 valiant manual at a newstand of all places, but that covers 10 other years of cars, and many more of those are still running.

PS. which cylinder is #1? the one closest to the FIREWALL or the one closest to the WATER PUMP?

Thanks again.
Ben
Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Hey Ben,
Thanks for the kind words! #1 is closest to the waterpump. Just start there and go back to the firewall, 1 2 3 4 5 6. The way my manual has the pic, the distributor has the vacuum port on it facing the front of the car, #1 is at the bottom of the vacuum port followed by (going in a clockwise manner) #5, #3, #6, #2, #4. If you need it, I'll be happy to make a copy of the page and mail it to you. Wish I knew you were looking for a manual, I was in Reno the first of August and found a guy who had a ton of books at the swap meet there, anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for a manual for your car and will snag one if I come across it. Feel free to email me direct also. Hope my meager knowledge helps!
Later,
Dave
Old 09-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Inactive User

Cry Yeeehaaa

Hey Dave!

That last post did the trick!
Alas, the car is still sick! With almost no engine vacuum untill High rpms, it makes driving on the street without stalling a real challenge. Blech.
Fortunately I know a guy who knows a guy...jk. I know a guy who has been really nice at a repair shop with all the cars in our family. He's looking at it monday morning.

Ben
Ps I tried to email you direct, but Moparchat wouldn't release your email. Oh well Thanks for your help. I was about to get tagged for parking too long on the same street.
Peace
Old 09-14-2002, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Ben,
Sorry your problems continue, but glad I could help a little.
My email is v8-monza@prodigy.net.
Let me know if I can help any more. There is a car show here in the beauriful burg of Barstow today and tomorrow, next week there is one in San Bernardino...San Berdoo isn't that far from you I don't think...do you plan to attend?

Later,
Dave
Old 09-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

15 is to young, 36 is to old, 24 is just right!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Confused

Quote:
Originally posted by ac270
15 is to young, 36 is to old, 24 is just right!!!
Huh? Did I miss something? What's that about?

Old 09-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Inactive User

when you figure it out fill me in doc...
lol