Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:39 PM

Default New Motor For Next Year

Car not selling so looking for parts to put new motor togather.
looking for 4 eagle H-beam rods and set of .030" over forged
"360" pistons. 12 to 12.5-1 with 68cc heads. Any one have some good used pieces drop me a line. Also would like to hear what your preferance in piston manufactures is and why. This motor will go in my "imca" type mod. max rpm of 7000. Have everthing else to put motor togather.will have internal balance and push a direct drive 904. Let me Know what you have. Thanks
Dan

danvan@speed2u.net
Old 09-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

A thought, we have run K/B hypereutectics piston for a long time, both in our hobby pro stock and imca modified, 360cid's, set of piston from your local sympathetic machine shop, kb191 will give you sufficient compression and cost about $225.00 for a set, must be careful with gap on compression ring. We have never lost a engine due to a piston failure, never have had a piston failure...
We swear by them!!!
Be careful, need to make many modifications to oil system if you intend for this engine to live at 7,000 rpms.

avenger
Old 09-13-2002, 05:40 PM

Default KB Pistons

I've run the 191 KBs with limited sucess.The first motor lasted untill the last nite and droped a valve (retainer broke).The piston exploded taking out the block and several other pistons and rods.Also more valves got bent when parts of the pistons loddged between the valve and head. The next motor to go was my brothers,the top lands of the piston separated and damaged the valves.(and yes we had plenty of end gap).I believe the KB's would be fine if you did'nt load the motor to hard but thats hard to do when the track will take the power.
I've never had an oil related failure in 15+ years of racing.but 7000 rpm is the max I turn my motors and its only there for a split second at the end of the streight.I champher the transition of the rear main at the oil pump mount and thats about all and use a good ovaltrack pan and pickup.
I have a full set of .030" over KB 191's and a setof reman. rods (Hughes engines). Used pistons-never used rods.I'd sell or trade toward Eagle rods and forged pistons.I want this motor to last.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Rice

The KB’s work great…especially with proper attention to ring gap…we’ve had some trouble with really long rod motors…1.85+…’cause the piston’s “always” at TDC and so is the heat…some guys reverse cool to push some heat a little further down…seems to make everybo
Old 10-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Inactive User

I was given a internal balanced 360 with 191 in it and three of them are melted, 8 pistons out of I think summit is 193 dollars, I know that cause im redoin it now,
202 160 J's with chevy valves and reverse cooled intake, 4 barrel intake, 500 holley 2 barrel, 500 lift solid cam, internal balance, 300 dollar mini alternator from speedway, 904 trans with a good t convertor.... cost to me 0.
the shop I rent, my neighbor hadnt paid rent in a year so the landlord told me if I help him move everything out he would give me some stuff, that was one of the good things I got. It was raced in a Wissota super stock about 8 years ago, so I will take the solid lift out and put a Hydraulic in and 8 new pistons and let er rip as a spare for next year.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:22 PM

Default new KB piston

Was looking at the KB web site and see they list a new piston for the 360 # KB373 the only info they list for it is .085" quench dome. The part that realy got my intrest is the 518 gram weight.
I e-mailed for more info and the only reply was that it would make 10.5-1 with a 68cc head.
I was thinking that with the Eagle I-beam rod and this piston it should be real close to being able to internal balance without
heavy metal.
Anyone like to coment on the pros or cons of lite rotateing mass
verses higher compresion. How much power/torque dif. between
12.5 and 10.5 comp. effects of engine brakeing on corner entry.etc....