Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:48 AM

Help 360 converter weight question

I'm installing a new non-lockup 727 into my '79 Aspen R/T to replace the old factory lockup 727. I'll be using a stock 340 converter for an internal balance engine.

So I need to add weights to the converter. The B&M flexplate is too expensive.

The lockup 727 has only a single large weight on it, which is spot welded through the middle to add it to the converter. I think it'll be very difficult to get it off without ruining the converter.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the proper balance weight for my 360? There aren't any in the local junkyards to chisel the weights off of. How much do the weights weigh?
Old 09-15-2002, 05:17 AM
Inactive User

I'm not quite sure what your asking, but I'll give this a shot. I swapped a 318 into my Ram that had a 360 in it. The converter was good, but it had the weight on it. What I did was I wrapped the open end (I don't know what to call it) with a good shop towel. Then I set it up on a vice and used several different sizes of chisels, I hammered the chisels up under the weight, working my way from one side, then the other side. Don't get too over zealous with it, because you don't want to damage the converter. You will nick it up though. It will take a while, but it'll come off. I did this and my truck doesn't seem to vibrate at all at 55+ mph. Yes the weight is pretty heavy. If you need a weight put on it, you'll need to find out how much it does weigh and get one welded on, or buy a new converter. In which case you might as well just buy the B&M plate. Hope this helps.

L.C.D.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:24 AM
Inactive User

Grind the weight off, no big deal. Then get the MP balance weight kit and weld the new weight on. Better yet, save your pennies and buy the B&M flexplate. Probably cost the same in the long run. Ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:26 AM

I'd be more worried about wrecking the weight getting it off then the converter.

Goto some tranny shops, you'll probably find one that'll even put the weight on for you. That's what I did for my 360, they asked if I had the weight & when I said no they just used one of theirs and welded it on. Had to pay them of course but it was peanuts compared to getting that flexplate.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

A transmision supply shop should be able to weld a new weight on for you. They will know how much and were to put it.

I did the same thing for my 400(using a small diameter 383 converter) They charged me $20cdn ($13 us funds?) to do it at "Larry's transmissions" in Calgary.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:57 PM

OK, the weight situation is solved. Here's what happened. I went online to the Mancini Racing catalog last night, and nearly had a heart attack (at age 32) at the $42 DOLLAR price tag for 8 pieces of metal, 6 of which I wouldn't even be using!!! F@CK THAT!!! MP always overcharges for just about everything I've wanted from them, so I didn't even look at their prices.

So I got the old 727 out of the Aspen today. As I expected, the one big weight would have to be positioned right over the drain plug on the factory 340 converter I was putting in. I used a hammer and chisel to pry the weight off. Going in from each side, I was bending that 1/4" piece of plate steel without even moving the weld area! So after hitting it again from the bottom (ring gear) side, I finally got it off. It kind of broke through the weld area without damaging the converter.

After doing some thinking about it, I decided to cut the weight in half and MIG weld it back onto the new converter, with a little bit of space on each side of the drain plug. The weights are just about the same distance from the center of the converter now as they were before. I ground a little bit off the edges of each one to compensate for the weight of the wire used to weld them back on. Then a friend used his MIG to zap them back on in five places for each weight.

I think it'll be pretty close. If anything, it'd be a tad bit heavy, so if I notice a vibration, I'll go under the car with the big blue grinder and "adjust" the weights a bit.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:22 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I just went through all that! That weight has to be positioned just right! The exact angle and position! If the converters are different size going from a 11.5 inch to a 10.5 inch the weights will not be correct even in the same position! It will tale some what more weight! Even if you dont fell a vibration It still may cause premature bearing failure! Yoyr better of on the long run to pay $85.90 at summit and have it shipped to your house in about 3-5 days! The flex plate is nice from B&M it has both large and small bolt pattern for the diff size converters! And is SFI certified!

Bob
Old 09-16-2002, 12:28 AM

Same size converters. 10-3/4" for both. And I spent a lot of time on the angle and position decisions.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:06 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Possibly a strange point, but isn't the "lock-up tranny" based on the 904, NOT the 727?
Will the input be the same from one of your trannys to the other?
Something seems odd to me?
Old 09-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

There is a lock up version of the 727. came around in about 79(I think)

I had never seen one until a year ago.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

I'm getting ready to do this same thing, ... well in a month or two.
I'm interested in the new flex plate aproach. From '6 packin' s mgs, I got on to Summit and looked for the B & M plate he was talking about, and I couldn't find it. 6 packin, do you have a part number ?
Also, I'm curious how it is adjusted to match the balance of the old- balanced converter?
Old 09-22-2002, 04:49 PM

Check these guys out, they got about 6 different plates for alot of apps. flex plates
Old 09-22-2002, 05:16 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Go pay the $85 for the B&M flex plate! For the cost and peice of mind that its right! Even though you change the weight over and doesnt vibrate doesnt mean its right too! This will cause premature bearing failure not to mention other things like leaks! The weight pacage is around $40-50 plus shipping! Summit has the flexplate for $85.90 including shipping! Also if you go to switch converters you half to remove the old one and weld it back! Instead on a easy bolt in swap!