Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2002, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Question balancing/blueprinting

I was wondering if anyone out there can explain the process of having a motor balanced and blueprinted. I tend to hear alot of people bragging about either a motor that they have owned or (more often) "a good buddy of theirs who has had a balanced and blueprinted motor that was just about the fastest thing on the street. The problem is that generally when you ask them to explain what it is they give you the "Well, its kinda hard to explain without getting too technical" answer. Which leads me to believe
1. They really have no idea what the hell this means and that they probably just heard someone else use the phrase to describe a tough motor.
2. It really is technical and maybe more trouble than its worth for an average quick street strip motor.
Anyone who can help clear this up for me would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Cool Balance and Blueprinting

As Martha Stewart would say: This is a good thing.
Bottom line is that balance is done by the machine shop. Balancing is helpful as it does away with un-designed vibrations from mismatched parts. This allows the parts to work without undesireable harmonics which can break parts and allows the parts to work as designed.
Blue-printing is making sure that ALL clearances are at the best or proper settings. Not too tight and not too loose.This is not a black science, it is just a lot of work to assure the PROPER clearances. This allows the parts to rotate at proper drag and resistance, and still be free of power robbing resistance.
Balancing and blue-printing does not add horsepower. It only allows the engine to work at it's best.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Inactive User

In addition to what tarrbabe said, there are some other factors. I'll list some:
BALANCING - making sure the pistons and rods are all the same weight as the lightest one - making sure the harmonic dampener and flywheel (torque converter/flexplate) are balanced to the rest of the rotating assembly. And maybe some other stuff. Balancing makes the engine run in a smooth, neutral harmony, and releases horsepower that would otherwise be used in fighting the engines own internal mis-matches.
BLUEPRINTING - is the process of making sure that every measurement of the engine is precisely correct for its' intended use. All the valve springs have the correct height, open, and seated pressure, and don't have coil bind with the intended camshaft. Balancing the combustion chamber volumes to insure that they are all the same. Measuring, and adjusting to make sure that the valves don't strike any other part of the engine (like cylinder walls, deck, or piston crowns) EVER!! Decking the block and milling the heads so that those parts are truly square. Indexing the camshaft to be sure that it is installed accurately. Making sure that the timing marks are accurate. Putting an appropriate advance curve in the distributor. Making all the pistons sit in the proper position relative to the block deck and crankshaft centerline. Precision machining the main and cam bearings to insure that they are straight and as parallel as possible with one another, and perpendicular to the centerline of the crankshaft.. Machining the lifter bores (and maybe putting bushings in them) so that they are the proper specified diameter, and exactly perpendicular to the centerline of the camshaft bearings.

I probably left out some stuff, but I think you get the point. A properly balanced and blueprinted engine can make as much as 100 to 150 horsepower more than one that is assembled from an over-the-counter engine overhaul kit, using Mike the Discount Machinist (E-Z Credit) for the lowest cost machining and assembly. A pretty good job - not including optimizing the oiling system, from a good, MOPAR oriented shop, can run in the neighborhood of $1,500 to $3,000 FOR THE MACHINE SHOP!!! NO PARTS INCLUDED!!!

What do you get?? An engine that will twist 500 to 1,000 RPM more than the above mentioned "typical" work. An engine that can make 100 to 150 horsepower more than the above engine. An engine that will LIVE for long periods of time at higher RPM than one without that work could even reach. And, coincidentally, it runs very nicely and smoothly for a VERY long time.

Oh, yeah... you don't have to do everything on every engine you put together - you can pick and choose what works for you. But, consider this: If you've got $3,000 heads, $1,000 rods, $600 crank,$700 pistons, $700 intake (carb and manifold), $1,000 valve train... and on and on... then why wouldn't you want to arrange things so that all that bunch of parts flopping around could not only reach their full potential for you, but last a really long time. And really paste you to the seat back when you nail it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

Default What Mr. Doug said,

Yeah, that's it!!!!
You said that quite well. Better than I did.
:blast: :blast:
Old 09-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

tarrbabe - I was just doing what I usually do... take someone else's thoughts, and make them sound way more complicated than they really are.

tuffguy - Balancing and blueprinting is really a part of your philosophical approach to your entire car (and your life). Kinda like Zen. The older you get, the more that special car becomes part of who you are. It is also a work of art, unique to yourself, like an oil painting, a sculpture, a Bonsai tree, a photograph. The process of starting with one car, working on it over time, and arriving at something satisfying to you is every bit as much art as those other endeavors.

My approach to doing a car has evolved over time - 1st - braking system. 2nd - suspension. 3rd - chassis ( subframe connectors, steering, other stuff). 4th - trans, then rear end. 5th - engine. 6th body. 7th - interior.... TA DA... the car is done!!!!!!

Everyone has his/her own method of developing a car - from the moment they see the hulk and envision it done. When you are a young person, you are broke, and things cost too much and take too long. As you mature (nice euphemism for "get old"), you have more money, and would rather have the car completed to your vision, than to have it running by 3 o'clock.

Also.... have fun.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

What.... no additions, arguments or nasty comments????

I must not be doing my job!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Wink A slippery slope

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Wilson

---------------------------------------------------------------
I must not be doing my job!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Humm perhaps Doug is slipping?
Old 09-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Well Doug, if you're looking for an argument...

Actually, I feel exactly the same way you do, with one exception. For all my life, I've had fast cars that looked like crap, because all my money went into making them go faster, then stopping and handling, then more faster! (Remember the line from "Hot Rod Lincoln"? The brakes are good, the tires fair.)

So from now on, the body work gets done first, then the interior, then the mechanicals. Of course if the brakes or steering are bad, they will get stock rebuilds before driving, but appearance will come before upgrades from now on.

Oh, and tuffguy? Your friends who say it's hard to explain? You were right with choice #1.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

"Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin', if you don't quit driven' that hoottt rooddd Lincoln"

I know what you mean. I still frequently never get to the body and interior parts. Maybe that's why I like 4X4s so much... if they look sharp, they're only wannabees. My 4 wheelers look like junk, but they really handle the mud rocks and streams - year 'round.

To each his own, tho.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

Wow, thanks alot guys. Especially to you Doug. I really appreciate all of the information available on this post. I think it really keeps you focused on what it is we are all trying to do here with these cars. I try to not be too judgemental of the other guy and thier "other type of car" but it is getting harder and harder when it seems like people only consider old chevelles and mustangs worth putting any time or effort into. ya'll tend to keep me more concentrated on the fact that these vehicles are actually better and more worthy of my attention. And I am beggining to think that everybody else is just wasting thier time. Keep it up. You guys are doing a great job with helpful insight.
Thanks,
Tuffguy
Old 09-16-2002, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

Tink nuttin' of it. We are all here to serve.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:38 AM

72, Im with you. Beating a cherry looking 396 chevelle with my 1st 340 '65, with its all black spray can primer 17 buck paint job, cheapskin seat covers and a rear quarter that looked like it was hit by a shotgun, 2 different hubcaps on the front tires and shackles on the back to clear the body off the 11 inch 14's on chrome steel rims was quite a rush, and the giggles never ended when the guy and his girlfriend caught me and my "mechanic" passenger at the next light. He looked at my car and kinda shook his head, knowing he had been beat by a POS wrapped around a healthy 340. Same went for a '66 shelby fastback, but it was bone stock, pretty fast!

Taking it to the other extreme is seeing a full pro street tubbed rod with a stock 6 or a 2 barrel on a 318 under the hood. Is he building it in a different order? Nah, he's just out of money!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Riigghhtt!!!