Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2002, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Moparchat's Lon at the Duck

Saturday night at Duck River Speedway and it was a double points championship, final points race of the season. A Moparchat member, Lon, took 3rd place in his feature. Boy it was good to see the Mopars do so well. This "Lemon Twist" Dodge Dart is powered by a 360 small block. Lon ran a smart race and got in the money. Congratulations!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lon.jpg (44.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-15-2002, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

Question Dennis Bowling's Race Report

Now I'm confused. In the Duck River race report this morning the driver was listed as Clint Alexander? Anyway it was a Mopar that got third.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Inactive User

Lon McDonald owns the car, Clint Alexander(Lon's brother in law) drives the car. This is Clint's second year to drive.

Lon (and family including Pop) built the car from the ground up, including engine; that's the way it should be. Dyno, as you know, that class is very, very competitive and tough to win in especially since the GMs can run the 400 block with heads with 1.94" intake valves. Mopars are only allowed 1.88" valves. And teardowns are frequent.

"A job well done!"
Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 AM

Post Decent night....

DYNO-thanks for keeping up with our progress!!

Everything went pretty good Sat. night considering 30+ super stocks signed in..... Clint had trouble in the heat-moving him to start the B Feature. Started 5th-finished 3rd. Clint is searching for some forward bite (egg under the right foot technique is not good enough....) Got a few tricks to try this week.......

Later

Lon
Old 09-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Bite at the Duck

Clyde Bruce ran a Dart bodied Super Stocker at the Duck last year, although I haven't seen him run this year. What he used to do on a slick track was to put on a 2" offset wheel on his left rear. The LR tire/wheel combo would stick out real far, and this would put more bite into the R/R. It looked wierd, but it appeared to work. Love those Super Stockers! What time do you arrive at the Duck?
Old 09-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Default Arrival time

We usually get there between 5:30 and 6:00 pm-just in time to unload and make the driver's meeting.
We're already running a 2" offset on the LR- it helps....just not enough. (I think clyde had a b-body rear in his Dart. They are a couple of inches wider overall-that's why the LR appeared to be "stuck out" so far.

Going to talk to Pop(my Dad) tonight-I'm sure he's got several ideas!!!! Even better-he'll take those ideas and start to work on the car and have it ready to try come Sat. night. Just can't get him to go to the races and see the results. He's happy with a race report on Sunday morning.....
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

Traction

I guess everybody can use more forward bite. At my last race at Winchester (called Slickchester by some), I was just spinning the rear tires coming off the corner. Rubber was stuck to my rear quarter panels, like a drag race car. You are already running 275/60's on the back, like me, but is there any advantage to different makes of D.O.T. tires? Are some makes softer? Would new tires be an advantage? (I was thinking of buying a new set for the back, since they are really worn down) I don't know if it is legal or not, but would putting additional grooves or sipes be an advantage?
Another area might be springs and shocks. Got any ideas?
Old 09-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

More Pics from the Duck

Speaking of traction. Take a look at the surface of the track, just as the Super Stock Feature is about to begin. Waxey lookin'. That's the Moparchat car starting on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superstock.jpg (66.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-17-2002, 01:46 PM

Default ideas...

As for DOT tires, my new ones (firestone firehawks) are poking ~62 with the durometer. Got to keep an eye on this because I have some that are older and they poke ~85 !! Really hard! You can keep them somewhat fresher by scuffing with a sander/grinder. Additional grooving is not legal, additional siping would probably go undetected. Working with springs/shocks/car rake this week....noticed in your pictures that the car is sitting a little high in the rear.....thanks again.