Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:08 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Question Comp Cams Extreme Energy Hi-Lift (.904) Hyd. Cams

Has anyone tried the new CC XE hi-lift hyd. cams for the .904" Mopar lifter? They appear to be comparible to the Hughes/Engle .904" lifter cams. Just wondering about their performance characteristics and dynamics. In other words, do they run quietly, and are they reasonably easy on the valvetrain? Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Funny you should ask about running quietly CudaMike, I installed the Comp 274 Extreme cam in my 440 Cuda. It's not the one for the .904 lifter, as they just came out with it and I put mine in last winter. But even though I have Crane roller rockers with Comp. 3/8 push rods and lifters, It's still noisy. I've adjusted them a couple of times as per instructions, zero lash plus one turn in and they still make noise. Not alot, but enough to hear. Is this normal with these cams? Anybody have the same thing with there cam?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Inactive User

Default XE Cam

I'm using the 240/246 Xe im my 440. Just took the engine out because the valvetrain is so noisy and I can't find the cause. Tried different heads, lifters, roller rockers, etc.....Same noise. Now I'm checking the cam bearings, then the wrist pins. Keep in mind this is a brand new engine (eagle crank, esp rods, KB pistons). Could it be that the cam is that noisy. The noise seems to come from the lobe area of the cam and megphones up though the valve covers. All lobes always check out okay and everthing is adjusted (multiple times) Sick and tired of taking it apart and putting back together!
Old 09-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Inactive User

First - I have never tired the new XE Hi-Lift cams - but they do look good. I would still buy the Hughes Cam (as I did) over these. The Comp is cheaper, and probably works just fine, but still like the idea of a cam designed for a Mopar Engine by a Mopar engine expert. Check out there web site...these guys run low 11's with a mild Stage 1 440!!!

Second - These things make noise. Don't fool yourself. Don't get too pushy trying to set the preload - you will bend pushrods. When you are setting this, this must be done w/o any oil in the lifter (on assembly), or this will throw your setting off. I had to remove each lifter on a friends 440 w/ Hughes HE3038 cam and manually get all the oil out, re-install, and reset. Was a pain, but he didn't listen to me when I told him this, and it had to be done. That made it more quiet, but there still is a noise that is inherent with a hi lift cam. It didn't help that he didn't understand what zero lash meant on the first install - the valves didn't close, and the 440 turned over like a electric can opener!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:27 PM

I've got the 274 Xtreme Energy in my 360 in my Aspen R/T. This is not the .904 lifter grind. It has hydraulic lifters with stock pushrods and stock non-adjustable rockers. Sometimes I hear a little bit of lifter tap like one isn't fully pumped up, but other than that, no unusual noise.