Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dodge Viper Chat...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Plutonium Member

wow I went A-Vipering yesterday...

I went A-Vipering yesterday and was running about 1/2 to 2/3 snake pedal in 2nd gear and starting around 45 MPH as the RPMs came up my rear tires started to lose traction until I let off the gas at around 60 MPH and gently shifted in to 5th gear. This was on a clean dry road (on a closed course, of course). When the temperature drops to 70 degrees the Viper picks up a lot more power than it had at 80 degrees and when the RPMs go up this extra torque means be very, very carefull so you don't get bit by the snake.

I had something like this happen to me 2 days before when it was in the lower 60's out, except that time I lost traction from all the power in 3rd gear. (Another closed course...)

Viper 10 had warned me about things like this happening in a Viper - they just don't happen much in 80 & 90+ degree temperatures, but when it's comfortable enough to roll down the windows and turn off the air conditioning... Someone had dyno'd his Viper at 90 degrees and again at 70 degrees without changing the the engine and he picked up 50 horspower just from the temperature drop.

I expect in about a month I'll have my Sean Roe Supercharger and have it installed. It will also be cooler outside. I'll have to be very, very carefull... 574.4 rear wheel horsepower or about 675 flywheel horsepower...
Old 09-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: I went A-Vipering yesterday...

Quote:
Originally posted by SUN RA KAT
I expect in about a month I'll have my Sean Roe Supercharger and have it installed. It will also be cooler outside. I'll have to be very, very carefull... 574.4 rear wheel horsepower or about 675 flywheel horsepower...
Kenny:

I will be very curious to see what Roe's blower kit will do without an intercooler. Why hasn't he developed a air to water intercooler for this system? Traditionally, you will lose about half of your HP gain when the engine warms up to running temp's. Is Roe recommending an electric water pump (or oil pump) to reduce the strain on the engine and belt?

Your calculations are off on your driveline loss. What numbers are Roe quoting for his blower set-up? Is he giving you RWHP or FWHP numbers? From what I have read, Roe is saying that the new setup will yield 70-80 HP (I don't think that this is RWHP).

I am a little concerned that you are going to put the blower on before you go to driving school. The stock Viper is difficult enough to handle on a technical road course, and the additional HP and torque will do nothing but make it harder to drive. What is your logic here?

I guess you are willing to risk pasting your Snake on a wall when you make the big mistake. This devlopement path is not something that I would ever recommend. Heck, you don't even know the shortcomings of your Viper yet, and you are slapping all of this bolt-on crap on. You'll probably end up turning this car into a straight-line racer. Most do because they can't develop the skills to drive thetwisties.

Don't fall into the trap of being just another Viper poser who is a HP and dyno whore. Body shops and junkyards are filled with their cars.

Brad
Old 09-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Plutonium Member

Default Viper 10 -

574.4 rear wheel horsepower or about a 135 rear wheel horsepower boost over the same car with headers, high flow cats, cat back exhaust, smooth tubes with K&N filters

The 5 psi boost is low enough that an intercooler is not needed

The 5 psi boost is also low enough that the stock fuel pump can easily supply enough fuel through larger injectors so that the Creampuff pistons are kept safe. (a larger boost kit will be available for earlier Vipers with the forged pistons in the near future, but it will require a larger fuel pump be installed)

The supercharger only takes 20 HP to drive it

I drive smoothly and don't plan on getting a huge amount of courage to drive extremely fast through curves, but I do plan on getting some experience at driving faster through curves than I would ever do on the street at Viper Days.

I probably am turning it into a straight line racer that doesn't race - I'm building it up for the way I drive. If I get obsessed with Viper Days and want to do sports car race courses, I'll redo the brakes & etc. I used to enjoy driving through corners real fast when I was young and very lucky, but I have no desire to do that now.

I'm just now becoming comfortable in having the snake pedal touch my custom floor mat (in safe driving situations only). I don't try to push the envelope each time I drive my Viper - I try to be more smooth and precise. I have plenty of time to learn and there is no need to rush. There is no need to race other cars - everything else is slower or the driver is crazy for wanting to race such a powerfull car on the street. I guess I am mature enough to safely drive a modified Viper.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Kenny:

My comments were not about you "racing" anyone at Viper Days. Driving through turns when you were younger and running on road courses is completely different. I have spent almost my entire life on road racing tracks (and driven on them since I was 12 years old). You missed my point completely. Read my post again.

Maturity has nothing to do with your driving skills. You are the exact kind of customer that a$$holes like Hennessey victimize every single day. I'm sorry to say that only a fool would put that kind of power and mods to make a car go fast, and completely ignore stopping power, suspension and chassis... without knowing the car first.

Sorry that I asked...
Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Plutonium Member

Default Brad -

I'm sorry to say that only a fool would post that kind of post without knowing the other driver and how he plans to drive it first.

I drive on public roads, not race tracks. I live in Ohio, a state that is overpopulated and most of the roads have way too much traffic for me to street race on.

I like to drive safe. If I change my driving style and find I need a StopTech brake system, I will get it and put it on my Viper. 99.9% of my driving is within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit and the Viper brakes and suspension are not stressed at those speeds. The other 0.1% of my driving where I do exceed the posted speed limit is only done under the safest conditions and even then, if I did need to use the brakes, it would not overheat them.

I am setting up my Viper to be the car I want, not the customer that a$$holes like Hennessey victimize every single day. Some of your posts appear that you are not comprehending what you are reading and appear to be a fool by doing so. You assume way too much and again appear to be a fool by doing so.

I used to value your opinions, but now your credibility is at a low point with me.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

... I'm heartbroken.