Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-17-2002, 03:48 AM
Inactive User

Default setting up dual batteries

Quick question...

Those who have dual battery set ups are you running one of those load switching devices that direct the recharge coming from the alt to the battery that needs it or are you just wirning the batteries together?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

I believe....you just wire the two together they will feed each other to obtain a balanced charge or discharge...in other words, if one battery has a dead cell or internal short it will kill your good battery.

I run 2 Optima red tops and have made 12 runs with electric fans and water pump...no alternator, without any problems.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks Cuda...

That's what I was thinking but you know I can always make it more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

I have seen dual battery setups that split the battery duty between the the starting of the car, and the ignition system and other racing accessories.

This allows the ignition system to get the "full juice" from Battery A, and to not be dragged down by the cranking of the starter on Battery B. This setup also allows you to get a jump on your starter battery, while still not loosing any performance out of your ignition system (or off your ET). Accesories can be split between these two batteries as far as how important they are for racing, like: Fuel, Ignition, water pump on battery A (most important) and trans brake, starter, elec fan on Battery B (less important). Also, if you have problems getting the batteries charged, if they were connected BOTH batteies would be low and need charging. Powering a car with two separate batteries makes it so that only the battery that is low would need to be charged (most likely the Battery B).

Doing this is quite a bit of work, and does not work well with hardly any of the stock ignition or charging componants. Most of these are on strip only really really fast cars. Any car without a keyed ignition switch would be a good candidate.

Dartman

PS If do decide to hook the batteries together make sure that you do it correctly. You can easily blow every fuse (as well as your fusible link and wiring harness) by wiring them together wrong. If my memory serves me correctly you need to wire them together in Parallel, NOT SERIES. Wiring them in series will put 24 volts of juice through your car. Here's a diagram I just found:

Old 09-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

Mosr racers using two batteries just wire them together to increase the AMP hours of the batteries (discharge them slower) when running with out a charging system.

Most RV's and trucks with dual batteries use a battery isolator (really jusr diode isolation) so both batteries will be charged from the same charging system, but they discharge independent of each other, so you can run the trailer/RV accessories without draining the battery that starts the vehicle.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Whats up with these optima batterys? they any good? or is the old diehard good enough?

coolcarz
Old 09-18-2002, 12:32 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

You want to set up the batteries for 12 volts which means that they need to be run in parrallel! Remeber volts stay the same in parrallel and amps stay the same in series!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Banned

I'm having good luck with mine, I added the second battery so i could dump the alternator, pulleys and belt off the motor ..no problems so far